South Africa’s last Look & Listen to close down

FiestaST

Honorary Master

Shem...used to like loafing in the Canal Walk store around 8/9 years ago.

Last edited:

LCBXX

Honorary Master
I would like to understand whether they had any type of strategy that went the way of Streaming or selling songs like iTunes/Google does and whether our local legislation made it next to impossible. I remember back in the day you could actually buy individual MP3's via their website which was taken down due to technicalities with our local copyright laws. I personally spent about R500 or so back then with them.

Example: I remember reading an article about ripping your own MP3 from CD's you own which was deemed illegal since our copyright laws only allows you buy the right to listen to the music on the CD and prevents you from converting it to another listening medium/format; you also own the plastic the CD and case comes on, excluding the jewel case artwork.

Last edited:

bigboy529

Expert Member
Yeah well, video kills the radio star..

Makes me think, the other day I was quite surprised to see our local video rental place is still going. It's a indapendant place and they don't only do video rentals it's a small general shop as well, so I guess that's how they do it.

Neoprod

Honorary Master
The stores I went to always struck me as over-staffed...quite popular with shoppers (always busy-ish) but clearly not enough people were actually buying stuff.

Yeah well, video kills the radio star..
They sold DVD's and blu-rays...a very good selection compared to most places (and what they didn't have, they would try to track down for you).

Lupus

Honorary Master

The Look & Listen at Hillfox Value Centre – the last one in South Africa – will soon close, marking the end of an era.
Was there on the weekend, not a lot really on sale. They inherited the stock from Clearwater and Cresta when those two closed down. Was quite nice to just walk around and browse, felt like being back in the late 90s early 2000s
The picture in the article looks like the Fourways Crossing branch, really does feel odd watching these old stores close down. Like watching the once numerous video stores just slowly wither away to nothingness.

Last edited:

Lupus

Honorary Master
I would like to understand whether they had any type of strategy that went the way of Streaming or selling songs like iTunes/Google does and whether our local legislation made it next to impossible. I remember back in the day you could actually buy individual MP3's via their website which was taken down due to technicalities with our local copyright laws. I personally spent about R500 or so back then with them.

Example: I remember reading an article about ripping your own MP3 from CD's you own which was deemed illegal since our copyright laws only allows you buy the right to listen to the music on the CD and prevents you from converting it to another listening medium/format; you also own the plastic the CD and case comes on, excluding the jewel case artwork.
They tried as far as I know, but seized operations in 2013, they also weren't badly priced on games. Had a few flash sales where you got good games really cheap, once picked up a new Xbox 360 game for R50

CeeBee

Expert Member
I guess too early to hope for a rescue from selling LP records ...
was in a Musica or TopCD in Feb... wife bought a record player and some vinyl records (I know... no logic to me too :) )
LPs that we bought in the 80s last, some movie soundtracks on vinyl, some now go for >R300!

kianm

Honorary Master
Last bought a disc ages ages ago, I find streaming to be much better and more suited to my needs

KingRat1

Sad day. I still like to own the CD of what I am listening to, this goes back to when you would play the vinyl LP and examine the sleeve with great attention to detail.

For me the best stores where Ragtime Records in the Golden Acre, next to The Market, and in Rondebosch. Look & Listen was the best of the last standing.

Thor

Honorary Master
I bought my first Ipod from them

This one 661018_0_original.jpg

I will have to find the slip it was like R4999 in 2007, ridiculous.