South Africa’s middle-class is disappearing

*SynergyX*

Expert Member
yep zero to very minimal (1-3%) salary increases in the past 2 years topped by escalating rates, taxes, utilities and fuel prices -- the cake of doom is already in the oven.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
It's not disappearing, the entry barrier to the middle class is just lowered. The poor have been liberated. If their household income is R10k they're now middle class. In a few years time, R10k will elevate them to wealthy status.

Proudly delivering on the mandate of a better life for all...

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
So is the middle class is R10K-R22K per month?

Then it explains it:

Two-thirds of the middle class are not happy because I wasn't either when I used to earn a middle-class income.

Third of the middle class want to emigrate but can't afford to.

The third of the middle class that is happy lives with their parents and it's just pocket money for them.

But in all truth, it's always been like that.

Cius

Executive Member
So is the middle class is R10K-R22K per month?

Then it explains it:

Two-thirds of the middle class are not happy because I wasn't either when I used to earn a middle-class income.

Third of the middle class want to emigrate but can't afford to.

The third of the middle class that is happy lives with their parents and it's just pocket money for them.

But in all truth, it's always been like that.
My dad on a single income provided a higher quality of life to 5 kids than I can to 2 kids despite me bettering his education level by 1 (masters over honours) and my wife working part time on the side. The middle class is eroding in multiple ways, some of it global, a lot of it due to the ANC in this country. A big factor in why I am so much poorer is the fact that I have to pay for so many services my tax should already cover. School fees, security, more expensive electricity due to the looting, etc. The additional taxes you pay in SA for stuff other countries give you out of your tax money is just getting insane.