South Africa’s new Cybercrimes Bill to be tabled in Parliament

CliffMastr

it's about time . . . just hope they don't waste too much time talking and debating before implementation

Bizkit87

Executive Member
anybody read this bill and know if there is any PIPA/TPPP/SOPA like powers in this?

Swa

Honorary Master
Provides that the President may enter into agreements with foreign States to promote cybersecurity.
The Great Firewall 2.0?

Off the top of my head:

1. This will give the cANCer the same draconian powers as per China.
2. It will give a means for those arseholes in America to come in here and find you for torrenting or use the SA govt to have you locked up
3. It will be used to find you when you criticize the govt online
4. If you engage in ethical hacking, or even security work, you could find yourself locked up very quickly. All that will be required is for party X to cry "Whaaaa so-and-so hacked us..."
5. Even hacking/using pieces of software, hardware, and others to figure out how they work, will become a problem.

This is not a good thing... not by a long shot.

aybbleek

Expert Member
Off the top of my head:

1. This will give the cANCer the same draconian powers as per China.
2. It will give a means for those arseholes in America to come in here and find you for torrenting or use the SA govt to have you locked up
3. It will be used to find you when you criticize the govt online
4. If you engage in ethical hacking, or even security work, you could find yourself locked up very quickly. All that will be required is for party X to cry "Whaaaa so-and-so hacked us..."
5. Even hacking/using pieces of software, hardware, and others to figure out how they work, will become a problem.

This is not a good thing... not by a long shot.
Better scrape the DBs while we can then - go go power rangers!

Clause 4(1) refers to national infrastructure, so my understanding is that this relates to hacking of stuff like E-NATIS and other systems, so the CoJ hack a couple of years ago, will get that person arrested.. even if it was merely to demonstrate that there was a problem. So this means the cANCer can continue to produce p1sspoor web services and the law is changed because they are TOO THICK to fix the problem like the rest of the world does.

Clauses 5(1) and 5(3) make it now illegal to do packet sniffing... :rolleyes:
So by Clause 6(5) you better delete Wireshark off your PC immediately..

Clause 1
(5)(
b
)
criminalises the
intentional and unlawful possession, communication, delivering
, making available or
receiving of data in possession of the State, classified as confidential.
Specifically crafted to make it now harder, or impossible to find out about Gupta/Numba 1

The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government...

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Clause 4(1) refers to national infrastructure, so my understanding is that this relates to hacking of stuff like E-NATIS and other systems, so the CoJ hack a couple of years ago, will get that person arrested.. even if it was merely to demonstrate that there was a problem. So this means the cANCer can continue to produce p1sspoor web services and the law is changed because they are TOO THICK to fix the problem like the rest of the world does.

Clauses 5(1) and 5(3) make it now illegal to do packet sniffing... :rolleyes:
So by Clause 6(5) you better delete Wireshark off your PC immediately..

Specifically crafted to make it now harder, or impossible to find out about Gupta/Numba 1

The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government...
Clause 6 applies to personal network use as well I assume? And what about ISPs that shape? Government employees using an ISP to access work information?