South Africa’s real 2015 matric pass rate is 60%

noxibox

Honorary Master
Under the circumstances it would be better not to follow the standard practice of adjusting to fit the normal distribution.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
So we were lied to by the government who always lie to the people.
No surprise here in fact I expected them to lie because that's what they do.

R13...

Honorary Master
So we were lied to by the government who always lie to the people.
No surprise here in fact I expected them to lie because that's what they do.
You weren't lied to, they admitted the adjustment before the results were released.

garp

Executive Member
What's the true "pass" rate when you apply the good old fashioned standard of 50%?

skimread

Executive Member
Make the group feel better by allowing more people to feel better about themselves passing, but they don't' realize the lower standard group will bring everyone down.

This puts the recent students protests because of lack of accommodation into perspective. More students passing matric and wanting to study at university for free is a recipe for disaster. More strikes, more entitlement, more handouts expected. Tax payers have to carry greater burden. Rand devalues quicker.

Pass 15% more students mostly in rural areas, who'll vote for you. They'll then come to the big cities looking for jobs or further education because they have a matric certificate resulting in more ANC voters in bigger cities.

This gamification of democracy is disgusting.

Fuzzbox

Expert Member
The sad thing is that when these students get to varsity they are going to struggle immensely.

Nicodeamus

Executive Member
My wife was almost fired and subsequently resigned in 2013 for giving 3 pupils a few marks to help them through ......because she worked in a poverty stricken community and felt she knew the kids and was sure the would pass if their personal circumstances were just a little differant.

I actually know of an instance in the same year where an educator actually forgot to add oral marks for her class and was instructed to correct (by adding fake marks) before leaving the office. She then proceeded to enter fiticious marks and submitted them.
That is fraud and she should be ashamed of herself. It is better to fail these kids and lie to them telling them that they have reached a certain competence while they are not ready yet.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Rules and laws only apply when suited under this government.

Grant

Honorary Master
what percentage is require to pass matric now ?

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
That is fraud and she should be ashamed of herself. It is better to fail these kids and lie to them telling them that they have reached a certain competence while they are not ready yet.
I agree and most people don't realise that this starts happening from the point of entry into primary school. Kids are given rubrics on how marks are distributed for completing an assignment as stipulated by the government, where, for instance, if doing a poem get 5/5 if they make the poem 12 lines as set out in the instruction, but 4/5 if they put 10 lines etc, if all the words rhyme in the poem 5/5, in most of them rhyme 4/5 etc. This essentially makes it impossible to pass. My GF is a primary school teacher and these kids can only speak English on a very minimally, non-functional level yet are mostly in the 70s and 80s percentage wise. I'm a first language English speaker with excellent English both written and spoken and I was lucky if I ever got 70% for English.

Regardless of this fact, the little ****s that couldn't be bothered to put in even the tiniest amount of effort are having their marks pushed up by the GDE and passing when they literally cannot function in any of the subjects taught. The reason government is pushing them through is because there are no resources to teach the kids when they fail so it is easier to push them all through; this way you don't have 120 kids in grade 1 the first year, then 240 the next, then 360 the next and so on.

What makes things even worse than that is that all the kids entering the varsities now think they deserve their based on the merit of their "hard work" as stipulated by their Matric certificates. These kids have no idea that they are actually illiterate and have no hope of passing any kind of University degree.

I would be hard pressed to hire anyone out of varsity in South Africa without a very comprehensive set of testing as most can barely function as human beings, never mind add value to a workplace. Couple that with the fact that the government states you must hand over your business straight away to a "person of colour" or a "previously disadvantaged" person otherwise BEE will strangle your business into a position where no one will do business with you then the government wonders why the economy is downsizing at a massive rate.

Last edited:

akescpt

Honorary Master
Get the impression that marking is in the toilet as well. People should not be getting 20 marks extra on a remark. These idiots are messing up futures with their negligence.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
As the saying goes: "you get what you measure"

Those who seek to provide an education to all, yet use the matric pass rate as the ultimate measure of their success just don't get it.

Not that surprising when even intelligent people make the same mistake, I still vividly recall my horror in a previous company after a hostile takeover at hearing the "new guard" explain to us how all their projects come in on time or early because on their balanced scorecard the earlier you are the bigger the bonus ... no gaming the system there, no sir, it's not like developers ever pad estimates ;)