South Africa’s Smart ID card “one of the most advanced in the world”

Valerion

Expert Member
Recently did a passport and ID card app at the same time - took under 2 weeks and I had both in my hands.

Home Affairs have stepped up their game quite a bit.
I did mine last year just before the elections (yes, I didn't think this through ... but my passport was within 6 months of expiry). HA Randburg offered me to do both at the same time, when I thought it wasn't open to my age group yet. Process went very smoothly, other than the queues which were long. Had mine within 2 weeks as well, together with SMS notification. HA is excellent right now.

Zenthrax

The cards this was based on is from UK.. there was an article about a guy that got one and hacked it within an hour.. this was years ago.

Johand

Expert Member
Recently did a passport and ID card app at the same time - took under 2 weeks and I had both in my hands.

Home Affairs have stepped up their game quite a bit.
Ha. Did passport and and ID smartcard at Barrack Street in Cape Town. Application less than 30 minutes and collected both documents in 5 days (10 min in and out to collect)

Quixotic

When will they open it up to non-citizens? Why the preference for citizens only anyway? My ID book is on its last legs!

lord-of-war

Had a great experience at the Bellville HA, 2 smart ID and passport for little one. Got sms 4 days later that all is ready to collect. So things has definitely improved.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Had a great experience at the Bellville HA, 2 smart ID and passport for little one. Got sms 4 days later that all is ready to collect. So things has definitely improved.
Pretty much my experience. Home Affairs impressively efficient and prompt. New passports and ID cards in a week.

Arthur

Honorary Master
I'm pretty proud of our ID card. They seem to have put a lot of thought into it.

So what if it gets hacked. It's only a photo ID.

Lupus

Honorary Master
The two hour wait at home affairs for the photo and the application and the two hour wait to collect aside, it wasn't so bad at Randburg last year. Wish more of the banks closer by would actually do it, a buddy drove quite a distance to get his done at a bank, though the drive and the wait there was still shorter than my wait at the home affairs.

abruton

Disagree. There is no quick check available to see if the card is valid. Nor is there a way of identifying a newer card if the old one was stolen or lost - this is a major flaw in the whole system that I thought would have been addressed when the new cards came out.

All that was needed in a version number and a website where a person can type in the ID number and the version number. Eg 801231 0005085/3

Andre