South Africa’s worst drought since 1904 – this is what it looks like

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Pity it does not say what location each pic is. That soil looks devastated. Strange that we have not turned into a dust bowl like the US did in the Great Depression. :(

biena

Executive Member
The ripple effect of the drought will affect every South African; hence we are appealing to everyone to make a contribution, for each contribution will be a drop towards breaking the drought,” said Solidarity.The ripple effect of the drought will affect every South African; hence we are appealing to everyone to make a contribution, for each contribution will be a drop towards breaking the drought,” said Solidarity.

They have a team of scientist building a weather machine to make it rain ?
Fail to see how contributing will break the drought. Offer some short-term relief is all that can happen.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Absolutely devastating..

BUT, it also drives the citizens to do amazing things to help those in need.

[video=youtube;tIa-APjpkDY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIa-APjpkDY[/video]

grok

Honorary Master
Absolutely devastating..

BUT, it also drives the citizens to do amazing things to help those in need.

[video=youtube;tIa-APjpkDY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIa-APjpkDY[/video]
Agree, sad that our government is too hopeless to even properly manage crises like these. It's not that these things aren't predicted, we have the science and capacity for action, a little forward planning might have helped a lot. But yeah TIA.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Was watching Cooked In Africa the other day and they happened to be visiting a farmer (I think it was the Karoo episode). He was telling how one of his neighbours had recently committed suicide as he could not handle the stress and hardship from farming anymore :(

daveza

Honorary Master
Hopefully this puts the fracking idiocy permanently to bed.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Hopefully this puts the fracking idiocy permanently to bed.

with energy companies taking heavy strain from low oil prices I'd be very surprised if any have the stomach (or the money) to explore fracking in ZA, hopefully nobody proves me wrong

chubster

I wonder what process is in place for these people in the affected areas to communicate with the government.

Is there some kind of representative that could talk/interface on their behalf with the government?
What can the government do, to help its people?

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
I wonder what process is in place for these people in the affected areas to communicate with the government.

Is there some kind of representative that could talk/interface on their behalf with the government?

Why should the people have to initiate communication with the government?

The government should have been doing whatever it could from MONTHS ago, without the people having to try initiate it.

The fact that private citizens are managing to do stuff like sending 2m litres of water etc is actually damning for the government...

konfab

Honorary Master

This is a problem that we should have been prepared for. Drought is not a new phenomenon in South Africa and as such with proper management and infrastructure development can be mitigated quite easily.

The Karoo was flooding 2 years ago. Did we have the infrastructure to capture that water so it can be used in a time of need? No.

http://www.iol.co.za/capetimes/floods-hit-laingsburg-1629720

Intell1gence

If only our farmers would farm using these principles:

[video=vimeo;28055108]https://vimeo.com/28055108[/video]

vimeo.com/28055108

Last edited:

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
If only our farmers would farm using these principles

Some already do, a relation of mine is even recognized fairly widely as an expert in companion gardening / farming ... he's also been caught 3 times for growing and selling mary-jane though sooooo ... correlation or causation? lol

access

Honorary Master
hectic, makes me angry that we cannot expect anything from our government, farming is a foreign concept to them, amongst other things.

access

Honorary Master
If only our farmers would farm using these principles:

that guy and his wood chips has no clue about large scale farming, south african farmers are seen as having some of the best farming and land conservation techniques in the world. i know of farmers being contracted to turn fracking damaged lands into workable soil again, even in russia working with frozen soil..

the guy in the vid has a novel idea, but he's a bit clueless when the scale increases. its a great idea for micro farming thats it. imagine 1 farmer covering his 1500 hectars with woodchips.. what trees??