South Africa and PayPal

terencevs

One of the biggest reasons why online shops in SA cant make a living! They force you to use bank credit card gateway which is just so expensive and then courier companies charge an arm and a leg to. You end up not making a profit unless you are one of the big boys!

FaNIX

Expert Member
Issues like this will always remain in South Africa.. I mean what can you expect? The government is ruled by criminals... You can't expect much from them, so why do?

Alastairo

Paypal

Yes the SARB has failed us.

Paypal was co-founded by a Pretoria boytjie, Elon Musk, and is the most widely used system in the world. We can use it to pay, but not to receive monies. The Reserve Bank wants to know what we are receiving - so what's the problem if it is done through your bank account ?

MonTage

I have a PayPal account, and I use my SA Credit Card. I buy online using it, quite frequently.

ITCynic

Expert Member
I have a PayPal account, and I use my SA Credit Card. I buy online using it, quite frequently.

I believe the article is referring to a PayPal Merchant account where you can receive funds into the country.

I think you have a normal PayPal account to PAY for stuff and funds leave the country.

Jola

Honorary Master

Yes, but you can't receive money, that's the problem.

I even had a problem recently where I bought crap sony notebook batteries on eBay. The seller was prepared to refund me, but couldn't because he couldn't pay money into my account.

I had to throw USD55 away because of this, no way to refund :sick:

jacksback

Yes, but you can't receive money, that's the problem.

I even had a problem recently where I bought crap sony notebook batteries on eBay. The seller was prepared to refund me, but couldn't because he couldn't pay money into my account.

I had to throw USD55 away because of this, no way to refund :sick:

Why not just spend the $55 on something else? The refund is held in your Paypal account until YOU decide what to do with it. You can either transfer it or use it as credit when purchashing something else

HillBilly

It's not all SA governments/SARS problem. PayPal are as much to blame if not more. They're not interested in opening up accounts in this territory; there's not enough demand for them to open an office here.

JustAsk

Expert Member
A very ignorant article from an idiot.Pure speculation and the usual convenient scapegoat...the evil goverment.

1 Does this idiot know that we once had full access to paypal,in a time we had strict forex laws
2 Does this idiot know there's not one single African country with full paypal access.Russia don't even have full acess yet Romania has,a country with an unusual high fraud rate.Why single out SA and it evil gov.
3 New Zealand got around 3million online users yet have full paypal access.What the hell has got SA's supposed 4.6 million online users got to do with it.

One of the biggest reasons why online shops in SA cant make a living! They force you to use bank credit card gateway which is just so expensive and then courier companies charge an arm and a leg to. You end up not making a profit unless you are one of the big boys!
What utter crap.There's roughly a 1% difference in fees.Looking for a scapegoat again.Online shopping in SA is a fcking joke.With no stock it is doomed to fail.The only way it has a future is when brick and mortar will go fully ecommerced.

Jola

Honorary Master
Why not just spend the $55 on something else? The refund is held in your Paypal account until YOU decide what to do with it. You can either transfer it or use it as credit when purchashing something else

Yes, I must look into that, I don't think that my Paypal account is set up correctly for this, he couldn't transfer the money - maybe because it was bought with a CC.

gregmcc

Honorary Master
Its about time it got sorted out! There's no reason why we shouldn't be able to receive money.

Jola

Honorary Master
A1 Does this idiot know that we once had full access to paypal,in a time we had strict forex laws.

Are you sure about that, AFAIK you have never been able to transfer funds into a SA bank account.

Paypal access for South Africans is better now than it has ever been, just two or three years ago you couldn't even use a SA credit card.

henno

A very ignorant article from an idiot.Pure speculation and the usual convenient scapegoat...the evil goverment.

1 Does this idiot know that we once had full access to paypal,in a time we had strict forex laws
2 Does this idiot know there's not one single African country with full paypal access.Russia don't even have full acess yet Romania has,a country with an unusual high fraud rate.Why single out SA and it evil gov.
3 New Zealand got around 3million online users yet have full paypal access.What the hell has got SA's supposed 4.6 million online users got to do with it.

What utter crap.There's roughly a 1% difference in fees.Looking for a scapegoat again.Online shopping in SA is a fcking joke.With no stock it is doomed to fail.The only way it has a future is when brick and mortar will go fully ecommerced.

Although I'm not too clued up on the matter, I share your sentiment. I hate when people make comments, or worse write articles without knowing the facts, just to cause a stir and ruin people's positive outlook on our country.

jacksback

Yes, I must look into that, I don't think that my Paypal account is set up correctly for this, he couldn't transfer the money - maybe because it was bought with a CC.

Yes, that was the most annoying thing about Paypal refunds, I got charged Paypal fees to transfer it back into my UK bank account. I bought quite a lot online so kept it as credit for my next purchase to save on the charges.

Same goes for Credit card purchases so contact them if you don't see it in your Paypal account

Jola

Honorary Master
Thanks, will look into this - USD55 is useful cash !

Jola

Honorary Master
Although I'm not too clued up on the matter, I share your sentiment. I hate when people make comments, or worse write articles without knowing the facts, just to cause a stir and ruin people's positive outlook on our country.

I actually think that the article is correct.

BTW, the Russians had a major financial crisis just a few years ago, and have lots of funny rules and regulations.

Also : New Zealand doesn't have Exchange Control - unlike South Africa.

And there is nothing wrong with just stating the facts - if that looks negative then it is deservedly so.

Tns

Executive Member
they won't do it cause they (gov) can't get a slice of the action.