South Africa could fall behind Kenya, Nigeria in Cloud use

Pythonista

they conducted indicate that there are two main reasons for this:

1) Lack of education about cloud computing by vendors; and
2) SA companies don’t see a business case (even though there may be one).

and more likely
3) SA companies don't see a business case, because there isn't one.

BBotha

You can also thank the NSA for scaring even more companies away. Also in SA the biggest things is latency, reliability of SA infrastructure and the freaking high cost of internet bandwidth in SA.

MagicDude4Eva

Banned
As a responsible company you would not use an international cloud service (Amazon) due to data-ownerhsip issues and legal aspects (NSA is just one of the many reasons why you shouldn't). Then there is unreliable international bandwidth connectivity.

Local cloud services are poorly implemented and when looking at the TCO of local cloud-services it is as much as hosting your own cloud. You will find that the majority of South African businesses have their own hosted cloudplatforms already anyway.

genetic

Honorary Master
Our company is completely cloud based, we are not a tiny company either. They made the move in August this year.

House

Banned
I will be very, very surprised if South Africa had ever been ahead of any of these two countries before....

Allin

Expert Member
My SO's company wanted to move their payroll system to a cloud-based system. They never even finished the trial. The issues included connectivity, latency when they could connect, etc. The cost model was just horrendous.

Allin

Expert Member
I can't see South Africa ever falling behind Nigeria or Kenya.
There are a hell of a lot of former citizens of both countries here teaching locals how to scam, corrupt, sell drugs, incite strife etc...

I walked down St Georges Mall in Cape Town today. I saw more Nigerians than locals...
Long Street that was a jol during SWC 2010 is back to what it was before - a drug mall with more Nigerian than local drug lords.

Last edited:

MagicDude4Eva

Banned
Cloud based for office connectivity works for us only with Google Apps for Business and has saved a ton of cash over an inhouse mail/collaboration system (such as MS Exchange) - zero administration required and no worries. For anything else a company would need to have really big pipes (10-20Mbps fibre at least) to make it work.

The way hosting companies have provided cloud solutions in SA are just not scalable and resilient compared to overseas providers (such as AWS or Rackspace).

cfilorux

Unfortunate juxtaposition

Arthur Goldstuck ... dipstick research

Last edited: