Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Doctors fight over J&J Covid-19 boosters in South Africa

The South African Medical Association, which represents doctors, said there must be a choice of Covid-19 booster vaccine after Johnson & Johnson won the right to run research on the half a million health workers who took the company’s shot in an initial study.

The Sisonke trial, which gave South African health workers a vaccine ahead of a general rollout of the shots, will be extended with health workers offered a second J&J inoculation, the government said last month.

_TrXtR_

Expert Member
“We have people who have never conducted a vaccine trial in their life telling the public that one vaccine is better than another and creating a vaccine apartheid.”

Haha must have been Jan again.

• Haha
Reactions: "D"

Grant

Honorary Master
Offered? Remember when government said the vaccine would never be mandatory?

What do they mean by offered?
So I had to do a clinic visit and get my 2nd J&J shot on Monday.

I made a point of asking about mixing vaccines eg 1 shot Pfizer + shot J&J, instead of 2 shots of the same vaccine.

Seems insufficient research has been carried out on that scope.
I'm guessing a lack of funding is the cause.
I somehow doubt J&J will hop into bed with Pfizer (or any other combination of manufacturers) and pool resources on this kind of study - I may also be entirely wrong.

The research clinic I am with is an independent private facility, not a J&J facility. I often get brutally honest answers, some of which are not entirely flattering of J&J, or the industry as a whole.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Funny,

vaccine apartheid

I brought this up months ago, not the apartheid part per se, but there is social sentiment that some people believe that they have received the better vaccine and hence show some 'bias' against others.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Funny,

I brought this up months ago, not the apartheid part per se, but there is social sentiment that some people believe that they have received the better vaccine and hence show some 'bias' against others.
There is a perception that some vaccines available are more equal than others. My own views would be to lean towards the more traditional vaccines and away from these mRNA vaccines.
The process of "approval" should be an indication of "levelling the playing field" in a way.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
There is a perception that some vaccines available are more equal than others.

Therein is a problem. Just wait until some perceive some vaccine passports more privileged than others. Now, I am overexaggerating here, but people tend to separate themselves, especially come to security.

I support that the world did their best to remedy the pandemic, and it is understandable that their scope given their time constraints wouldn't have been optimal. Most 'approvals' were on a 'trial' basis.

People will grow concerned, and many have been hurt due to precautionary laws and rules. At this time, we need better, or rather improved, options.

konfab

Honorary Master
"If you choose to not take the vaccine, the government will respect your choice but it will systematically remove all your rights".

Daveogg

Expert Member
Offered? Remember when government said the vaccine would never be mandatory?

What do they mean by offered?
So contrary to the general "speak", you (Joe Public) can't get a booster now even if you decide you want one.
So yes healthcare workers via the sisonke trial have been offered a booster, if they want it.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
"If you choose to not take the vaccine, the government will respect your choice but it will systematically remove all your rights".
I missed that quote in the article?

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
I somehow doubt J&J will hop into bed with Pfizer (or any other combination of manufacturers) and pool resources on this kind of study - I may also be entirely wrong.

So they aren't interested in saving lives out of the goodness of their hearts. Who woulda thunk

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
So contrary to the general "speak", you (Joe Public) can't get a booster now even if you decide you want one.
So yes healthcare workers via the sisonke trial have been offered a booster, if they want it.
The question in my mind is why? In this case, I assume the reason is that J&J are in the process of evaluating the benefits of a booster shot, as well as any safety issues that might arise. Hence why it is part of a trial.

The participants in the trial presumably see some "added value" in the assumed additional protection a booster might offer them in return.

IF the prime purpose was the opposite, ie. the government wanting to provide HCWs with added protection, then it seems correct that HCWs should be offered a choice.

Are ALL HCWs automatically part of the Sissonke trial? I don't know?

DreamKing

Honorary Master
leftists said trust the professional, take the vaccine .......

oops.

:D :D :D