South Africa doesn’t have enough black pilots and cabin crew: lawmakers

Budza

Executive Member
Under the attempt to perform the impossible there sets in a general disintegration. When legislation fails, those who look upon it as a sovereign remedy simply cry out for more legislation.

A sound and wise statesmanship which recognises and attempts to abide by its limitations will undoubtedly find itself displaced by that type of public official who promises much, talks much, legislates much, expends much, but accomplishes little.

The deliberate, sound judgement of the country is likely to find it has been superseded by a popular whim.”
― Calvin Coolidge, The Price of Freedom

While not impossible to achieve, they way the government would have it happen is.

Neuk_

Expert Member
I was turned down for a bursary in 1999 from SAA thanks to not being black. Yet seems like 21 years later it's still the same.
I had a friend who was also turned away by SAA around the same time so he enrolled to study Aeronautical Engineering which is where I met him. He made it through two or maybe three years before quitting and using his microlight instructors licence/rating he saved up to pay for his private pilots licence and then saved up to get his hours by renting planes from teh Wits flying club so he do do his commercial pilots licence and eventually get a job doing land surveying up in Africa. From there he got on to a small local airline flying the smaller routes before he got in to a larger airline with more regular local routes and now fly's for Air Hong Kong flying A300's. he was lucky that he had the microlighting to fall back on for income but getting to being first officer at a large international airline can be done.

Lupus

Honorary Master
I had a friend who was also turned away by SAA around the same time so he enrolled to study Aeronautical Engineering which is where I met him. He made it through two or maybe three years before quitting and using his microlight instructors licence/rating he saved up to pay for his private pilots licence and then saved up to get his hours by renting planes from teh Wits flying club so he do do his commercial pilots licence and eventually get a job doing land surveying up in Africa. From there he got on to a small local airline flying the smaller routes before he got in to a larger airline with more regular local routes and now fly's for Air Hong Kong flying A300's. he was lucky that he had the microlighting to fall back on for income but getting to being first officer at a large international airline can be done.
I ended up in IT :-( so went a completely different route. My cousin who eventually ended up as a bush pilot in Botswana, was actually on the Discovery channel for awhile on a documentary.

Neuk_

Expert Member
I have absolutely no issue with economic reform within state-owned institutions and enterprises if done responsibly with accountability, and also within the public sector in general, but the forever targeting of the private sector has been bugging me and applying 'hegemony' to this context is far beyond the means of equality.
There is nothing equal about AA or BEE or some other rubbish notion that labour, companies, schools, sports teams, etc. must reflect the demographic break down of the country.

Neuk_

Expert Member
I ended up in IT :-( so went a completely different route. My cousin who eventually ended up as a bush pilot in Botswana, was actually on the Discovery channel for awhile on a documentary.
A pity, I have another friend whose father paid fro him to get his PPL and COM at 43 Air School and worked as an air ambulance pilot for years but is now doing something completely different.

Lupus

Honorary Master
A pity, I have another friend whose father paid fro him to get his PPL and COM at 43 Air School and worked as an air ambulance pilot for years but is now doing something completely different.
Yup it is a pity but hey we all managed to do what we need to do :). I knew a guy from school who eventually became a pilot, my cousin as I said is a bush pilot, my nephew is doing is CPL but it's taking longer than he thought as he's saving up for everything as much as he can.

Nod

Executive Member
There is nothing equal about AA or BEE or some other rubbish notion that labour, companies, schools, sports teams, etc. must reflect the demographic break down of the country.
It is all based om the assumption that every persons outcome must be exactly the same.
Never going to happen.

MirageF1

Executive Member
Tbh I'm way past any form of caring anymore...

Waste of time. Just like this junkyfied state.

grok

Honorary Master
Why don't you import them from Quebah like the doctors you couldn't train, comrade?

RonSwanson

Expert Member
Here's a plan - Why doesn't the Parliamentary committee for for transportation put in a budget to offer bursaries for Black pilots.

also cabin crew as well? that can't be right, every flight I have been on in South Africa and on SAA has predominately been black cabin crew
Why doesn't the Parliamentary committee for for transportation Black Business Council / Black [insert your mono-race institution of choice] put in a budget to offer bursaries for Black pilots.

xeslaro

Executive Member
So concerned about a small sector comprising a meagre 15 000 individuals - this includes non-rewarded student pilots + private pilots.

Murder accounts for 15 000 + 5000 souls EVERY SINGLE YEAR.... And is noteworthy only with a cursory mention by embicile Cele delivering annual crime stats...

3rd world dumbasses

Urist

Expert Member
So we're a democratic rainbow nation but you're not allowed to do this thing because there are too many other people with your melanin level doing this thing.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Here's an even better plan.. Have a govt enquiry into why no black pilots, then a report on the enquiry for another couple of years.. Then withold it for security reasons for another couple of years.. Then have a commission of enquiry I to the corruption aspect of the report..
That should do the trick..
Normal operating principles no?
You forgot the inquiry into the irregular expenditure by whatever department sanctioned and overpaid by 100's of millions of Rand for the waste of time report.

Bismuth

Expert Member
I was turned down for a bursary in 1999 from SAA thanks to not being black. Yet seems like 21 years later it's still the same.
Was around the same time for me, same reason as well... ended up in another career (IT) but with my PPL and part-share in a Seneca, so get to fly at least.

Last time I checked, you don't become a pilot just because, it really has to be a calling, otherwise you are not going to make it. Had an instructor who could read prospective pilots on their intro flights, and tell whether or not they were cut out to be pilots. If he thought you were, would do his utmost to help you achieve you goal. If he thought otherwise, he made sure you knew. He has since flown into the great blue yonder, but will never forget my time with him.

Point is, you can't force someone to become a pilot, especially a commercial pilot for a major airline. Yes, a bursary programme would help, but not all who start it will complete it. And those that dropout, will probably blame apartheid or whatever the latest race card of choice is. Same goes for cabin crew.

It's not like you walk into an airline and say 'I want to be a pilot/cabin crew', and they say 'Sure, here's a uniform and there's your aircraft'. I get the feeling that's what they think should happen.