South Africa has ambitious plans to build and launch its own satellites in the next 4 years: minister

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Launch our own satellites, I doubt it, but we can sure build our own satellites.

Addressing a technology conference on Monday (22 November), Ntshaveni said the department is considering ways to condense the satellite programme, which would typically take between eight and ten years to develop.

She said that this revised programme would hopefully be ready to launch in just three to four years. The minister said that this will be dependent on access to funding, with the government hopeful that telecommunications and mining companies will help co-fund the project.

So here is the question, say we can produce our own satellites and sustain the programs to which these satellites are allocated, who are going to launch the satellites?

agentrfr

Executive Member
DELIVER MY POST FIRST YOU NINNIES.

KEEP MY LIGHTS ON YOU KFC GOBBLERS.

STOP EMBRACING POST-MODERNIST PHILOSOPHY WITH YOUR YOUTH CLOWNS AT OUR UNIVERSITIES AND REMEMBER WTF MANDELA WAS ON ABOUT INDIVIDUAL LIBERTY AND AGENCY ETC.

Then you can start thinking about hiring a western company to launch your micro-sats so you can more effectively spy on our nations' citizens.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Launch our own satellites, I doubt it, but we can sure build our own satellites.

So here is the question, say we can produce our own satellites and sustain the programs to which these satellites are allocated, who are going to launch the satellites?

We already have the capability to build satellites as far as I know. A few companies do such in the country.

As for the launch aspect.. given that its pay upfront, nobody will take the ANC's "We'll pay you in 60 days" promise, so the thing will rot on the ground.

But to be less facetious about it. Why should we spend big money trying to develop something that Space X (and a few others) are already deploying... rather try get on that bandwagon and fast track its deployment into our region. This localisation obsession is just fscking retarded.

Stuey74

"The commission said that the satellite would provide quality connectivity of marginalised communities in the SADC region, at no cost to them, so that they may access 4IR applications, especially for smart health, smart learning, smart ammunition, smart minerals, smart agriculture, smart contracts and smart financial services."

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Smart,

The commission said that the satellite would provide quality connectivity of marginalised communities in the SADC region, at no cost to them, so that they may access 4IR applications, especially for smart health, smart learning, smart ammunition, smart minerals, smart agriculture, smart contracts and smart financial services.

the taxpayers are the people who will have to dish out, and also to sustain this cooperative 'agreements' with the SADC.

Have we even developed and tested said smart contract system?

I believe it would be better to partner with an entity that already does this, and through such an agreement we can produce their satellites here and have educational and technical programs to enlist our people in said programs.

We are trying our hand at grassroots where there aren't any roots, we need a root to plant.

Anyhow, in my view, this is overly ambitious. Come to action, the ambition may be too challenging.

eg2505

Honorary Master
another pie in the sky ANC objective, meanwhile the cash that is stashed in Dubai gets bigger,
and the unemployed and destitute get bigger,

but I laugh at them, YOU VOTED FOR THE MOTHERF******** , so ENJOY!!!!!!!

Reactions: XTM

qscwbt

Expert Member
I do admire the creative new projects (way to be corrupt) the anc goverment comes up with.

Tman*

Expert Member
2020 - we will develop smart cities!
2021 - we will go into space!
2022 - we wil go to Mars to decolonise it!

Muiskas

DELIVER MY POST FIRST YOU NINNIES.

KEEP MY LIGHTS ON YOU KFC GOBBLERS.

STOP EMBRACING POST-MODERNIST PHILOSOPHY WITH YOUR YOUTH CLOWNS AT OUR UNIVERSITIES AND REMEMBER WTF MANDELA WAS ON ABOUT INDIVIDUAL LIBERTY AND AGENCY ETC.

Then you can start thinking about hiring a western company to launch your micro-sats so you can more effectively spy on our nations' citizens.
You need to calm down ma'am.