South Africa has U-turned on plans for state-owned data centres in the country

Their "plans" were laughable so I'm glad some sanity has prevailed. But lets be honest, the whole thing was really just a smokescreen for a massive looting spree until someone stepped in (thank you!) and put a stop to it.

This is just gently walking it back, "we realized this is a bit out of our depth", rather than, "we uncovered plans to steal huge amounts of tax payer money".

so they going to stick to stealing electricity and tax payer funds,
and not building data centres that hoover up personal data to be sold on to the Chinese?

disappointing ANC, expected better from you, could have been rich selling citizens data to the Chinese

Their "plans" were laughable so I'm glad some sanity has prevailed. But lets be honest, the whole thing was really just a smokescreen for a massive looting spree until someone stepped in (thank you!) and put a stop to it.

This is just gently walking it back, "we realized this is a bit out of our depth", rather than, "we uncovered plans to steal huge amounts of tax payer money".
+1

Well all know that the R1 billion DC was going to be a shipping container with a laptop inside and a sleeping guard outside.

So much sanity suddenly prevailing!
They can rather spend the money on colleges that train technicians who can assemble servers and network infrastructure.

I very much doubt sanity prevailed, someone clued them into how much it would actually cost if things were done totally legitimately and above board and they realised they don't have the budget to loot it properly like they normally do.

It just better be fully locally owned and managed, and not a foreign US owned/operated facility....

so they going to stick to stealing electricity and tax payer funds,
and not building data centres that hoover up personal data to be sold on to the Chinese?

disappointing ANC, expected better from you, could have been rich selling citizens data to the Chinese
The Chinese already have all our data thanks to Experian's incompetence.

The Chinese already have all our data thanks to Experian's incompetence.
but that's Experian incompetence, its not like the ANC purposefully gave the Chinese access to the entire ID database of SA.
and said here you go China, have fun.

I very much doubt sanity prevailed, someone clued them into how much it would actually cost if things were done totally legitimately and above board and they realised they don't have the budget to loot it properly like they normally do.
I'll take it.

It is just now going to be outsourced to some crony. It will come back at some point in time.

Back