South Africa improves airport security to detect coronavirus

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
South Africa improves airport security to detect coronavirus

The National Health Department says while there is no cause for panic with the outbreak of the Novel Coronavirus in China, it has beefed up surveillance at the country’s ports of entry.

“South Africans are assured that measures are in place to detect, manage and contain any cases of Novel Coronavirus should it come to our shores.

[SA News]

Techne

Honorary Master
A KFC for passport control is good for fevers up to 39. Higher than that you need a Johnny Walker Black too.

Jola

Honorary Master
BS, the incubation period is, according to the Chinese Authorities, up to 14 days.

The Health Department's pfaffing around at the airports is of very limited value.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
BS, the incubation period is, according to the Chinese Authorities, up to 14 days.

The Health Department's pfaffing around at the airports is of very limited value.
Not many options at this stage.

Eric

Honorary Master
No idea. The Chinese and other researchers will hopefully tell us soon. Can sputum tests detect it?
Sputum tests would only be helpful after screening. Checking for raised temperatures using equipment and relying on travellers answers to questions are the only way to screen without major disruptions.

The WHO has already published info on detection no doubt.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
I left Liberia on one of the last flights out before it was effectively isolated at the height of the Ebola panic. Flew to Nairobi, changed plane and then waltzed into JNB and no one said a thing. According to them I'd come from Kenya.

They can have all the measures they want, they won't stop it entering any port if the incubation period is 10 days +.

Eric

Honorary Master
I left Liberia on one of the last flights out before it was effectively isolated at the height of the Ebola panic. Flew to Nairobi, changed plane and then waltzed into JNB and no one said a thing. According to them I'd come from Kenya.

They can have all the measures they want, they won't stop it entering any port if the incubation period is 10 days +.
Ditto. I see this all the time. Yellow fever card not required if you transit a non yellow fever country too.

To be fair, screening can never reasonably stop infections reaching a country, but it can contain some. It's a cost Vs risk thing. It costs very little to screen.

Corelli

Expert Member
Honestly we dont need a plague. We need it to stay as far away as possible. My grandparents became orphans without family overnight when they fled Europe during the flu epidemic. It gets really bad.

I have experienced the Ebola one while travel for work. The last thing anyone want is a plague. Just imagine everyone dies around you and you may be next and there may be nothing you can do.

Perhaps watch the movie "Contagion" or "Outbreak".