South Africa is an overtaxed nation - Outa

rpm

Admin
Staff member
South Africa is an overtaxed and uncompetitive country that is inching closer to junk status, according to chairperson of the Organisation Undoing Tax Abuse (Outa) Wayne Duvenage.

He was responding to President Jacob Zuma's televised address following the Constitutional Court ruling that he violated the Constitution and that the Treasury must determine how much he should pay for the upgrades at his Nkandla mansion.

Zuma told the nation on Friday evening that he welcomed the judgment, adding that he respects the ConCourt’s ruling and will abide by it.

"It was never my intention not to abide by the Public Protector's remedial action."

He said the judgment has strengthened the countries constitutional democracy.

However, Outa believes Zuma's apology is an insult to the South African people.

“A simple apology is all we received from the head of state, along with a feeble excuse of misunderstandings and misguidedness, with a promise of new focus on policy revision related to state expenditure,” said Duvenage.

Outa noted with increasing concern, the exorbitant and increasing costs associated with many large capital expenditure project throughout most state owned entities in South Africa.

"We believe this situation has arisen as a result of cronyism that gives rise to connected appointments and entities whose main purpose is to extract money out of the system.

"The focus of placing his party and friends before the interests of the nation, has reduced our state owned entities to heightened levels of inefficiency and poorly managed state resources which do not produce the best results at lowest cost for the people of South Africa."

Duvenage added: “We have become an overtaxed and uncompetitive nation and our President, along with the ruling party appear unable to focus their attention on the dire needs and work required to extricate us from our slide into junk status.

“It is unfortunate that on many occasions, when the door has been opened to pave the way to recall Zuma, the ANC’s top brass slams it shut every time.”

He pointed out that Zuma's response and that of the ANC has lost an opportunity to for significant change and will further alienate South Africa from the international investment community.

Fin24 - http://www.fin24.com/Economy/sa-is-an-overtaxed-nation-says-outa-20160403

The Trutherizer

Executive Member
The voters will pry that door wide open. Mark my words. I'm pretty sure the vast majority of taxpayers in SA are getting quite concerned.

itareanlnotani

Expert Member
The vast majority of taxpayers comprises of +- 1.5% of the population. We're concerned, but meaningless in terms of votes.

See - http://www.rollingalpha.com/2015/10/22/but-who-pays-south-africas-tax/
and
http://www.rollingalpha.com/2015/10/23/how-south-african-indirect-taxes-are-paid/

53 million population.
Of that 13% pay taxes (6.89 million)
Of those taxpayers, 13% again pay tax (the other's don't pay anything meaningful or have income < threshold values).

13% of 6.89 million is 895,700 actual tax payers.

silver6933

Expert Member
The vast majority of taxpayers comprises of +- 1.5% of the population. We're concerned, b
13% of 6.89 million is 895,700 actual tax payers.

You confusing income tax payers WITH TAX payers.

A common misconception.

Nearly everyone that consumes pays tax to the gov in the form of VAT or other in direct taxation.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
OUTA is correct... When you start adding it all up...
Forms of taxation in South Africa:

1) PAYE
2) VAT
3) Company Tax and Provisional Tax
4) Estate Tax (or other forms of Capital Gains)
5) Dividends Tax
6) Transfer Duty
7) Local Rates and Taxes
8) Vehicle License Fees
9) Fuel Levy
10) Road Toll Fees
11) Plastic Bag Levy
12) Tyre Recycle Levy
13) Customs and import and Excise Duties
14) Air passenger tax
15) Diamond Export Levy
16) Donations Tax
17) Mineral and Petroleum royalties
18) Retirement Funds Tax (RFT)
19) Skills Development Levy
20) Stamp Duty
21) UIF

And also... you could add...
Secondary tax on companies
Securities Transfer Tax
Uncertificated Securities Tax

itareanlnotani

Expert Member

eg2505

Honorary Master
could beb worse, at least we dont live in Japan, apparently their taxes are much more than ours......

Sinbad

Honorary Master
could beb worse, at least we dont live in Japan, apparently their taxes are much more than ours......
For me it's not about the level of taxation, but the level of service we get for our money.
Japan is world class. We are world arse

bopman

And for that Japan gets social security benefits like free state education, and an excellent healthcare system where most procedures are free, or the government pays 70%. What do we get ?

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
It's fine, look at their country compare to ours.. It goes somewhere

Granted Japan is much, much better than ZA in many ways, but I would not want the questionable honour of holding the world record in debt-to-gdp terms. They're going somewhere alright, to bankruptcy court if anyone ever wants to be paid back ...

Nurple Derple

Honorary Master
Don't Outa want all of us to pay an increased fuel levy to subsidize Gautengs Roads?

Voicy

Honorary Master

For me it's not about the level of taxation, but the level of service we get for our money.
Japan is world class. We are world arse

This.

If I told you how much tax I paid last year you'd cry almost as much as I did. But I get the services for it, so I'm chill.

I can't even drink the pain away because a 500ml pint costs R150. :/