South Africa is facing a severe water crisis

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Looking at the Western Cape water crisis makes me think the Namib and Karoo must be expanding. Which basically WC is pretty much f"cked if that is the case.

During the last few winters the cold-fronts have only brushed the SW-Cape. Most of the rain fell over the mountain catchments only (which has helped the dam levels), but not further inland. Whether this is a long-term trend remains to be seen. (I am not touching on cl!mate change...)

Dramatic illustration of some of the empty dams, with before and after satellite photos: https://www.businessinsider.co.za/d...osterkop-nqweba-middel-letaba-tzaneen-2019-10

Last edited:

maumau

Honorary Master
During the last few winters the cold-fronts have only brushed the SW-Cape. Most of the rain fell over the mountain catchments only (which has helped the dam levels), but not further inland. Whether this is a long-term trend remains to be seen. (I am not touching on cl!mate change...)

Dramatic illustration of some of the empty dams, with before and after satellite photos: https://www.businessinsider.co.za/d...osterkop-nqweba-middel-letaba-tzaneen-2019-10

Amazing, thanks for posting.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
The way the ANC is f*cking up the country is unbelievable.
They don't know their a$$ from their elbow.
The only things they excel at are lying and stealing.
They are running the country into the ground.
Viva the ANC.
Viva Africanism.
Viva.
This is what happens when UTTER AND COMPLETE MORONS are in charge of a country.
The same kind that works for you and blows up your appliances because they're too stupid to use them the correct way.

MEIOT

Expert Member
Let me put it this way. Water will be worth more than gold in a few decades.
Doubt it.

There isn't much more or less water in the world now than there were billions of years ago.
Just where the rainfall occurs changes throughout earths history.
We are an inventive and innovative species when we're up against the wall. We will just have to find more efficient rainfall tracking, harvesting, transport methods as times get more challenging I reckon. Coupled with changing our usage habits of course. And by usage, I mean industrial and agricultural usage and waste of freshwater.

Adenoid Hynkel

Expert Member
Doubt it.

There isn't much more or less water in the world now than there were billions of years ago.
We are an inventive and innovative species when we're up against the wall. We will just have to find more efficient rainfall tracking, harvesting, transport methods as times get more challenging I reckon. Coupled with changing our usage habits of course. And by usage, I mean industrial and agricultural usage and waste of freshwater.
Ok.

maumau

Honorary Master
Doubt it.

.... and the millions of extra people?

Populations exploding all over the place.

R13...

Honorary Master

Probably doesn't help but a lot more water gets wasted and polluted by other means than population growths.

MEIOT

Expert Member

The point I was making is that the amount of water hasn't fluctuated over the eons.
How that water is being used has.
Put simply, we need to use the water more efficiently as my reply suggested.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
The point I was making is that the amount of water hasn't fluctuated over the eons.
How that water is being used has.
Put simply, we need to use the water more efficiently as my reply suggested.

More water leaks and gets wasted than runs thru the local water meters. Local municipality has yet to realise, that they can only charge for water that goes thru a meter. If it gets "lost" before it goes thru a meter, they do not get paid for it. That is beyond their ken ...

Gazg

And
The way the ANC is f*cking up the country is unbelievable.
They don't know their a$$ from their elbow.
The only things they excel at are lying and stealing.
They are running the country into the ground.
Viva the ANC.
Viva Africanism.
Viva.
And burning.........

Swa

Honorary Master
Doubt it.

And even then it takes thousands of years. Yes the Sahara is actually moving but by meters per years and not kilometers as some misguided teens are led to believe.

Now driving along the country I can see many marked rivers but no water in sight. Can't remember ever seeing something like that. But then when you talk to farmers who've been doing it for generations and they can tell you how they were told stories about it. What we're experiencing is nothing new. It's all a cycle. "Science" just chooses to ignore history for the sake of an agenda.

Nicodeamus

Executive Member
The water crises makes me really nervous given that the war in Syria started because of a water crises.