South Africa is far behind on securing COVID-19 vaccine - Report

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
South Africa is far behind on securing COVID-19 vaccine - Report

South Africa is lagging behind other countries in the race to secure a shipment of COVID-19 vaccines.

This is according to Rapport, which said the government has not started negotiating with the manufacturers who are running vaccine trials in the country.

The fact that four of the 10 front-runner vaccines are being tested in South Africa offers no guaranteed preference when it comes to the availability of vaccines, Rapport said.

RVQ

Expert Member
Its already been said that only a billion will be available by end of 2021 and with the need for 2 per patient only 500 million people can be covered. Africa and South America will in large be left out in 2021 with North America, Europe and Asia scooping up the lions share at a premium. 2022 could also see similar issues if yearly vaccination is needed. Developing and Underdeveloped nations are best to take advantage of their much younger population when compared to developed nations and focus on policy and guidance that supports the elderly and vulnerable while doing everything to encourage the young and healthy back to work. Problem for South Africa is the majority don't have jobs to begin with

R13...

Honorary Master
It's probably best to wait on these rushed vaccines anyway. The richer nations will get it along with China and India I take it. India will just manufacture the things if they aren't offered reasonable pricing. America would do the same too if they were left out.

Dairyfarmer

Executive Member
Considering SA has no money, maybe it is that no company is willing to commit to selling SA a vax.

A bit like that guy coming to buy your car and telling you he will have the money next week.

hj007

Expert Member
Can you buy it without SA gov needing to be involved?

Like if you're dual citizen can you go offshore? Or just buy it privately through private healthcare rather than worrying about the state?
I'm not getting it, just asking for a friend :ROFL:

KleinBoontjie

Honorary Master
Can you buy it without SA gov needing to be involved?

Like if you're dual citizen can you go offshore? Or just buy it privately through private healthcare rather than worrying about the state?
I'm not getting it, just asking for a friend :ROFL:
Amazon.com.......duties might be a bitch, though

Flippy

I'm fairly certain the medical aids and private hospital groups will import vaccines.

As per usual , private companies will need to save the day...

Aghori

Honorary Master
It's probably best to wait on these rushed vaccines anyway. The richer nations will get it along with China and India I take it. India will just manufacture the things if they aren't offered reasonable pricing. America would do the same too if they were left out.

Fark me I would not recommend an Indian made vaccine. The last malaria type one I got at Delhi had me land in hospital with mercury poisoning. Started to lose hearing, could not stand steady nor speak properly for weeks.

Tun@

Expert Member
We’re talking about a vaccine that needs storage at minus 70 or 80. That’s a tremendous logistical issue not only in the U.S. but outside the Western world,” said Dr Gregory Poland, a virologist and vaccine researcher with the Mayo Clinic.

“We’re a major medical center and we don’t have storage capacity like this. That will be true for everybody. This is a logistical obstacle.”

Zukat

Expert Member
They can keep it. This is Africa and we have herd immunity here, not for european sissies.

As usual, the whole of Africa is expecting a handout...purchasing potentially viable vaccine candidates is only what responsible governments do.

brilliantt

The consolation is that the more countries get immunized, the less potential for outsiders to come and infect the locals. It's not the best, of course, but at least it's something.

RonSwanson

Honorary Master
But, but, I thought that the South African defence farce paid 200 million for around 990,00 vials of Cuban Concoction which they smuggled in illegally?

Edit: Ah! My bad, this is a "treatment", not prophylaxis.

chrisc

Honorary Master
I suggest this is sensational nonsense. BioVac in Pinelands (just one supplier of many) are working closely with Astra-Zeneca and Oxford Labs to get a vaccine that will be approved by the SA Medical and Dental Council

When the vaccine is approved by regulators in the USA, UK and Germany, this will ease its way through the SAMDC's red tape, since the clinical tests will have already been completed, and several thousand people here in SA participated in the trials

And, btw, the trials have been a success