South Africa is not doing enough coronavirus tests - Report

Petec

Expert Member
Well duh! IMO, the Guv are petrified of the results that will be shown from proper testing.

JayM

Expert Member
Left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. NHLS can do 15K tests a day, but aren't doing so because there isn't enough demand, and this is purely down to not enough people exhibiting enough symptoms to warrant testing.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Here was I thinking it was because of capacity and resources, meanwhile it is all a deliberate and a planned go slow.
Well I doubt he's wrong per se... They are petrified of the results, but they're testing as much as they can anyway....

Lupus

Honorary Master
We would be seeing an increase in upper respiratory infections in hospital if this was as bad as they think.
You don't need tests when people are flooding the hospitals and Drs with the symptoms, oh wait a lot were turned away because they didn't meet the requirements back then.
The whole testing thing is silly, they should monitor the hospitals for the cases, because if it's bad that's where the results would be.

markings

Expert Member
Here was I thinking it was because of capacity and resources, meanwhile it is all a deliberate and a planned go slow.
If I heard properly they said on a Cape Talk news bulletin that community testing was halted for the Easter weekend.
How stupid would that be? And definitely deliberate for whatever reason unless they have actually run out of test kits.

Pixies

Honorary Master
We would be seeing an increase in upper respiratory infections in hospital if this was as bad as they think.
You don't need tests when people are flooding the hospitals and Drs with the symptoms, oh wait a lot were turned away because they didn't meet the requirements back then.
The whole testing thing is silly, they should monitor the hospitals for the cases, because if it's bad that's where the results would be.
You think people would risk flu like symptoms with a public hospital visit? I reckon people would rather die at home.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
If I heard properly they said on a Cape Talk news bulletin that community testing was halted for the Easter weekend.
How stupid would that be? And definitely deliberate for whatever reason unless they have actually run out of test kits.
Could you find anything else confirming what you could have heard? It doesn't make sense.

Lupus

Honorary Master
You think people would risk flu like symptoms with a public hospital visit? I reckon people would rather die at home.
They seem to in other countries, but we would still be seeing an uptick of deaths or hospitals or something.

Petec

Expert Member
And why is there lack of capacity and resources? Inept management and planning, which leads to skewed results affecting reported cases and deaths. This is a compounded effect which is swept under the rug as usual.
Please read objectively and if you don’t understand the attempted meaning, rather shush.

Link: What data sets the Government are choosing to base their responses on

Last edited:

krycor

Honorary Master
Duh.. we a 3rd world unequal country .. what do people expect?

My favorite part of this crisis is the people who advocate opening everything up because they will be ok.. until that is they get a mutated version and the hospitals are full.

At the end of the day there is a global shortage of reactants, etc limited testing capability and only xyz budget. In every place where this has presented as a limit.. they ration testing to try and reduce false/failed testing.

It’s a tricky situation.. sometimes I think people are dumb enough to think SA’s reaction is soo massively different to the norm when you look at places abroad you see the same decision making. Ironically when you tell people that their pedestal country, ie, the US did/does the same they shrug it off and complain about other ****.

I dunno.. I think maybe gov and industry need to play open cards about how bad the situation is vs funds and ability and then let people kill each other with hysteria.

WollieVerstege

Expert Member
Many been saying this from the start. What is worse is it seems we ordered test kits from the US and I thought they are no longer releasing any medical equipment related to Covid-19. Using it all themselves.
Essentially the lockdown has become the poor countries answer to an inability to test and track properly.
Also, due to the long incubation period the screenings being done now in communities will have to be redone every week.

WollieVerstege

Expert Member

My favorite part of this crisis is the people who advocate opening everything up because they will be ok.. until that is they get a mutated version and the hospitals are full.
Heard a very interesting quote from a friend.
"The cost of a human life is always acceptable, reasonable and rational, as long as it is not your life or the life of those you love."

Bewlen

Expert Member
We're a third world country when it suits the ANC, and a first world country when it suits the ANC. Taxed like a first world (and then some), served like a third world (beating and whipping the citizenry, freely corrupt on multiple levels, failed healthcare system, I could go on)

ponder

Honorary Master
I dunno.. I think maybe gov and industry need to play open cards about how bad the situation is vs funds and ability and then let people kill each other with hysteria.

The data & modelling used should be open & public, this cloak&dagger stuff is bs.