South Africa makes down payment for COVID-19 vaccine

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
South Africa makes down payment for COVID-19 vaccine

South Africa has made a down payment to secure the COVID-19 vaccine for 10% of the country’s population.

“The National Department of Health and the Solidarity Fund are pleased to announce that a down payment of US $19.2 million USD (R283 million) has been made to GAVI (the Vaccine Alliance) to secure South Africa’s entry into the COVAX facility,” the department and fund said in a statement on Tuesday.

The payment was made in line with the fund’s previous allocation of funds and commitment to support government’s efforts to accelerate the roll out of vaccines in South Africa.

[SANews]

CAPS LOCK

Executive Member
Had to chuckle at this drivel.

Minister of Health, Dr Zweli Mkhize, has hailed this milestone as the epitome of excellence in health service delivery through multilaterism.

“It is a privilege to oversee a process that has brought together government, international partners and business for the sole purpose of delivering quality health care to the people of South Africa.

“This is what we have been advocating for when we speak of multi-sectoral collaboration, and it is gratifying to see this spirit being harnessed for the good of our people, Africans and the global village,” Mkhize said.

brilliantt

I wish they would tell us which vaccines are covered, and what their efficacy is. All we hear is vaccines, vaccines. We know that Pfizer is 94 percent effective; Moderna, 95 percent; Sputnik V, 92 percent; and AstraZeneca could be 90 percent effective. Moreover, Pfizer, Moderna, and Sputnik V are already being used by their respective countries, so I would trust them more than any vaccine for poor countries.

CAPS LOCK

Executive Member
I wish they would tell us which vaccines are covered, and what their efficacy is. All we hear is vaccines, vaccines. We know that Pfizer is 94 percent effective; Moderna, 95 percent; Sputnik V, 92 percent; and AstraZeneca could be 90 percent effective. Moreover, Pfizer, Moderna, and Sputnik V are already being used by their respective countries, so I would trust them more than any vaccine for poor countries.
We don't yet know. Covax money is used, in part, for funding ongoing R&D into various vaccines currently developed and are in varying phases of clinical trials. When those become available, they distribute. My understand, albeit very limited.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master

1. None of them have been licenced for use in SA (yet).
2. None of the licenced ones are available, all stocks have been pre-purchased internationally.
3. Due to cold-chain considerations we will not likely get the mRNA ones.
4. All of the efficacy data are preliminary, more studies are being done.
5. By the time we do get vaccines, the facts should be clearer.

CAPS LOCK

Executive Member
Using rough math. The figures provided in the article. I calculate R316 per person (2 doses), or R158 per dose.

The logistical, and ancillary, costs to get the serum into the arms of the population is a consideration for another day.

ActivateD

Expert Member
Distribution of this vaccine will be a major battle in a country with high unemployment.

markings

Expert Member
LOL
its a 10% deposit, so R5.18 x 10 = R55.18
That seems to tie up with the costs of the AstraZeneca vaccine @ 3EUR per dose. It is not only the cheapest but also one that does not impose many cold chain restrictions, is apparently easy to manufacture in huge quantities, and uses a well established vector, adenoviruses as a delivery vehicle.
To use the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine would just be crazy.

Cost of vaccines has been published by a Belgian MP by mistake.