South Africa may double power buy from Congo hydro plant

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
South Africa may double power buy from Congo hydro plant

South Africa is considering doubling the amount of electricity it plans to buy from a proposed multibillion-dollar hydro power plant in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Increasing South Africa’s electricity purchases has become a linchpin for the companies seeking to build and operate the 11,000-megawatt facility. [Bloomberg]

Reactions: 3WA

km2

Expert Member
South Africa’s parliamentary energy committee in November cast doubt on the wisdom of relying on the Congolese project. It recommended that alternatives be found to replace the 2,500 megawatts of off-take then contracted “in the event that the Grand Inga project does not come on line in time.”
While I agree with the broad idea of not betting the countries future energy needs on one particular project, after the way South Africa's recent domestic power generation projects have gone I don't think we're in any position to cast stones.

3WA

Executive Member
Do the rebels have any chance of getting to this site?

3WA

Executive Member
What about Medupi and Kusile? White elephants?
They're still there, but they don't help diversify the power mix or meet emission targets. They're more about replacing other old and decommissioned coal plants.

Adding a few thousand megawatts of hydropower to the mix is a great idea in principle.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
I am under the impression that there is a current over-supply which is problematic in itself. Notwithstanding the request for electricity price hikes from Eskom. Why is Government buying more electricity?

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Do the rebels have any chance of getting to this site?
I wonder if the manglement types have put some thought towards this eventuality.

Imagine we're dependant upon that power and some rebels come in and spoil the fun...

3WA

Executive Member
I am under the impression that there is a current over-supply which is problematic in itself. Notwithstanding the request for electricity price hikes from Eskom. Why is Government buying more electricity?
Diversification is good. Load-shedding in December was due to coal shortages. Large hydro input can help buffer against fluctuations in coal supply or coal prices.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
I wonder if the manglement types have put some thought towards this eventuality.

Imagine we're dependant upon that power and some rebels come in and spoil the fun...
We already have eskom employees destroying local infrastructure during strikes so not much difference..

Reactions: 3WA

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
in essence I see this as a bit of a good thing, because the power we buy from Congo will be fixed by them so if Eskom try to hike the price to much, government will just buy more power from the "more affordable" hydro power facility in Congo.

I actually see this as a bit of a smart move for sorting out our power situation. gives us a bit of leeway while Eskom gets their house in order.

3WA

Executive Member
in essence I see this as a bit of a good thing, because the power we buy from Congo will be fixed by them so if Eskom try to hike the price to much, government will just buy more power from the "more affordable" hydro power facility in Congo hike the price, eat the profit, and decry capitalism.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
It's pretty clear that Optimum's production plummeted.
You are aware that Optimum is a Gupta-linked company? You do know that the coal crisis in SA was engineered by the Guptas to drive up prices and create a demand for nuclear power, which they were also linked to?

We don't need to buy electricity. What we need to do is sort our own backyard out.

Praeses

Expert Member
Wouldn't there be substantial losses during transmission? Quite a long route to go...

3WA

Executive Member
You are aware that Optimum is a Gupta-linked company? You do know that the coal crisis in SA was engineered by the Guptas to drive up prices and create a demand for nuclear power, which they were also linked to?

We don't need to buy electricity. What we need to do is sort our own backyard out.
I'm very much aware of that. The collapse in Optimum's production was in the vacuum left by Gupta abandonment. The specific event I'm referring to happened long after the Guptas left South Africa.

Sure we can try to clean up and manage the coal industry so efficiently that we never have to use any other type of power, but it's more realistic to realise that having all your energy eggs in one basket is a bad idea.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
We need more Nuclear Power plants (without the corrupt tenders).
What is tragic is that there was a whole nuclear roadmap, with sites identified and supply pipelines for the whole of Southern Africa. All back-burnered and mothballed in favour of more gravy.