South Africa may introduce new school certificate below matric

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
South Africa may introduce new school certificate below matric

President Cyril Ramaphosa said South Africa needs to work harder to improve efficiency in key subjects, especially in early schooling.

Ramaphosa made the statement at the Basic Education Department’s Lekgotla in Boksburg on Monday 21 January, where he called on the basic education sector to focus on a number of critical areas.

Pythonista

Junior Certificate here we come. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
I think there was a std 8 certificate at some point as not all kids carried on to Matric.

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
I think there was a std 8 certificate at some point as not all kids carried on to Matric.
Correct, it wasnt issued, but you could apply for it through the school you attended at the time.

beans100

Honorary Master
So, basically an attendance certificate. Good luck navigating the job market with that.

daveza

Honorary Master
Dear employer

I have a certificate even more worthless than a matric certificate ......

Arthur

Honorary Master
Good idea, Cyril. And while you're about it, introduce vocational and trade schools. Not everyone is cut out for an academic and theoretical high school. Besides, for a large number of jobs, educational creds don't mean much anyway - what counts is the willingness to learn and work hard.

If I were Prez-for-Life Dictator I'd also abolish free and compulsory schooling, so it stops being a daycare prison and starts serving those who want to be there. Few things we can do will boost real education more. Once that's done, systematically reduce and eventually abolish social grants.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
As per my previous comment, the point of the Std8 leaver certificate was for the learner to be able to apply to trade schools FET, not colleges or varsities. There is a huge hole for this and if this is what is intended, I'm all for it.

Arksun

Expert Member
Maybe this will give the matric certificate some kind of value again?

Swa

Honorary Master
A good idea if it came with vocational training. The only problem is our matric certificate is already worthless so what will this be?

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
"Please may I see your attendance certificate for Grade A"?

/hands over piece of crayon signed paper with a gold star on it

"Oh ..... very good"

Here is the South African Reserve Bank at your command new Governor. Good luck.