South Africa Misses Deadline to Bail Out SAA

SilverCode

received 57 billion rand in bailouts
To try and quantify the wasteful expenditure of this, I've made up some numbers in order to see how better it could have been used.

Assume a school costs R50m to build.
Assume the average school teacher earns R30k per month (or at least they should earn that if not more).

With R57 billion rand you could:

1. Build 500 new schools at R50m each
2. Staff each of the new schools with 30 teachers earning a decent salary of R30k
3. Put 1000 pupils into the new schools and have a class size of ~30 pupils per teacher
4. Have enough money left over to pay the wages of those 30 teachers for 6 years, so none of the children needs to pay school fees
5. At the end of the 6 years, 3 million children would have received a free education in newly built schools close to their homes by teachers who earn a decent wage.

And that is just the bailout money. I'm sure all the money that was looted by Dudu Mnyeni and Zuma could double that and see the kids all the way through school.

Instead, they chose to keep throwing all that money into a garbage fire to try to keep their pride and make sure a tiny percentage of the population don't lose their jobs. I would rather 3 million children receive a good education than a few hundred people are propped up by the ailing taxpayer.

(Please feel free to criticize and correct my maths))

dualmeister

Honorary Master
They probably looked in the coffers and realized that they do not have any funds.

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
To try and quantify the wasteful expenditure of this, I've made up some numbers in order to see how better it could have been used.

Assume a school costs R50m to build.
Assume the average school teacher earns R30k per month (or at least they should earn that if not more).

With R57 billion rand you could:

1. Build 500 new schools at R50m each
2. Staff each of the new schools with 30 teachers earning a decent salary of R30k
3. Put 1000 pupils into the new schools and have a class size of ~30 pupils per teacher
4. Have enough money left over to pay the wages of those 30 teachers for 6 years, so none of the children needs to pay school fees
5. At the end of the 6 years, 3 million children would have received a free education in newly built schools close to their homes by teachers who earn a decent wage.

And that is just the bailout money. I'm sure all the money that was looted by Dudu Mnyeni and Zuma could double that and see the kids all the way through school.

Instead, they chose to keep throwing all that money into a garbage fire to try to keep their pride and make sure a tiny percentage of the population don't lose their jobs. I would rather 3 million children receive a good education than a few hundred people are propped up by the ailing taxpayer.

(Please feel free to criticize and correct my maths))
Well thought out example. I think people get completely numbed when the word "Billion" is used literally every day in South Africa. It becomes meaningless.

1 Billion Rand = 1000 x R1 Million Rand. You could literally fund 57 000 new businesses with R1 mil each with that bailout. Imagine the jobs that could be created with that.

koffiejunkie

Executive Member
Lol shem. You'd think the creaking and groaning of the planes would inspire them to ensure SAA is properly managed.
There are a lot of things we can criticise SAA for but "creaking and groaning" planes isn't one of them. Their fleet is quite young, ~11 years average, and that figure would probably be less if they didn't have some aircraft on the books that haven't flown for decades.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
There are a lot of things we can criticise SAA for but "creaking and groaning" planes isn't one of them. Their fleet is quite young, ~11 years average, and that figure would probably be less if they didn't have some aircraft on the books that haven't flown for decades.
I've personally and through family been in/heard about SAA planes in the last 2 years that felt like they might drop out the sky. And my step-sister had an engine fail in a flight and had to turn around back to Durban. Me and my family rate SAA as a bucket of bolts.

Magnum

Expert Member
You make it sound as if there are no consequences for the defaulting country when in fact there are.
Yes there are. But they only have an effect if the leaders of the country care. OF which I'm damn sure ours do not!

koffiejunkie

Executive Member
I've personally and through family been in/heard about SAA planes in the last 2 years that felt like they might drop out the sky. And my step-sister had an engine fail in a flight and had to turn around back to Durban. Me and my family rate SAA as a bucket of bolts.
Engines fail, aircraft are designed to handle that eventuality. Maybe you don't know what are normal sounds on an aircraft. Or maybe it's just the noise in your head.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Engines fail, aircraft are designed to handle that eventuality. Maybe you don't know what are normal sounds on an aircraft. Or maybe it's just the noise in your head.
Funny how it only happens on SAA. Usually the first chirp I hear when someone has flown in or are flying out is something about not using SAA. Their reputation is trash and I think it's safe to say that few people hold them in the same regard as BA, Safair etc.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Funny how it only happens on SAA. Usually the first chirp I hear when someone has flown in or are flying out is something about not using SAA. Their reputation is trash and I think it's safe to say that few people hold them in the same regard as BA, Safair etc.
I've never had an issue with an saa flight from that point of view... Other airlines like 1time and such I did though....

SAA technical are still top notch even with the management cockups.

koffiejunkie

Executive Member
Funny how it only happens on SAA.
Funny, I flew SAA last week and had none of this. At the same time, I fly on plenty of Cathay and Singapore 777s and 787s (including a brand spanking new 787-10 two weeks ago) that have all manner of noises that I don't expect and can't identify, but that means nothing about the condition of the aircraft. Your anecdote is as meaningless as mine.

Usually the first chirp I hear when someone has flown in or are flying out is something about not using SAA.
Maybe if they're not using SAA, they're not in a position to comment?

Their reputation is trash and I think it's safe to say that few people hold them in the same regard as BA, Safair etc.
Their safety reputation and record is among the best in the world. Ditto their maintenance standards. It's only in the heads of uninformed jokers that this is a problem.

koffiejunkie

Executive Member
I've never had an issue with an saa flight from that point of view... Other airlines like 1time and such I did though....
Now there's an airline that had some noisy aircraft. There was so much baning and clanging going on their MD80(?)s I could hardly hear the announcements over the tannoy. Still, this is pretty meaningless.

SAA technical are still top notch even with the management cockups.
People don't realise that running is not like truck company, where you can get away with smoke billowing trucks and paying the occasional fine is cheaper than to take it out of service to fix up. The CAA has pretty high standards, and they are, if anything, over cautious. Remember when Nationwide had a birdstrike and lost an engine on take-off? CAA grounded the entire fleet - an over reaction that ultimately caused Nationwide to go out of business. And even if you can't bring yourself to trust the CAA, SAA's planes have to be up to maintenance standards seet by the FAA (US) if they want to land in the US, and the EASA (Europe) if they want to land in Europe. And they don't screw around - just ask Geruda.