South Africa offers the cheapest iPads in the world

Keigo

I brought my iPad2 oversea with free screen protector and free smart cover alike case at no extra cost. if I had purchased locally, I am looking at extra R250 for the screen protector and no Idea what these smart cover alike case cost. But for people is not traveling, surely is cheaper to buy locally. :)

KamikazeHamster

The iPads are cheap, but the iPhone 4S is currently looking like the most expensive on the planet. I wonder if Core will get them into South Africa timeously? Launch date (according to @SimonDingle on Twitter) is mid December 2011.

unskinnybob

Expert Member
the iPhone 4S is currently looking like the most expensive on the planet
That's because the current importers are dodge. I'm sure their prices will be near inline with the iPad2 vs. rest of the world once sold by the providers.

yeti

I think Apple should accrue a local distribution centre in SA and do away with the utter garbage that is Core.

MightyMuffinMan

Expert Member
Van Spaandonk has encouraged consumers to declare their iPads to South African Revenue Service as failure to do so could result in tough penalties. “This is illegal and amounts to a criminal offence,” says Van Spaandonk.
I read this and lol'd

prof818

Is this article serious? Surely this kind of information should be sourced from an independent news source, not from Core. It is fairly obvious they would make this claim in order to get more sales.

Andysor

Haha, and I assume Van Spaandonk declares any clothes, shoes, souvenirs, books etc. that he buys whenever he travels?

I think there is a tacit understanding by SARS that this only applies to packaged, unused items that could be resold in SA.

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
The pricing, which is subject to the rand/dollar exchange rate, works out to around the same price or even lower than devices purchased overseas, says Core Group’s Executive Director RJ van Spaandonk.
Stopped reading there.

Speedster

Honorary Master
As much as I dislike Core, the guy has a point here. What he doesn't say though is that they probably bought the iPads when the ER was closer to R7/$ and if it weren't for the sudden ER depreciation they'd still be amongst the most expensive in the world.

Zyzzyva

Executive Member
As much as I dislike Core, the guy has a point here. What he doesn't say though is that they probably bought the iPads when the ER was closer to R7/$ and if it weren't for the sudden ER depreciation they'd still be amongst the most expensive in the world.
Yip, they have already said they will be doing a significant price increase in the near future unless the rand drops back down to R7.50 or something.

psudan

Yip, they have already said they will be doing a significant price increase in the near future unless the rand drops back down to R7.50 or something.
Then you might as well wait for iPad3, which is suppose to come by Q01/12!

Dolby

Honorary Master
The iPads are cheap - but like someone pointed out, they also have some of the most expensive prices on the planet.

Remember the Wii at one stage was R2,800.00 when the 'real' consoles weren't too much more. Oversea's the Wii was an impulse buy - but here it was insane pricing. The iPhone is another .... ad then someone in the Apple mentioned R5,000.00 (ex VAT) for 2 x 4GB RAM modules from Core?!

Entry level iMac seems decent - but just one level up which provides a marginal speed performance is R3,500.00 more expensive - and yet the parts compared to the first are less than R1,000.00 difference.

Someone at Core needs to relook their pricing