South Africa plans to buy Russian and Chinese COVID-19 vaccines

Chris

Journalist
South Africa plans to buy Russian and Chinese COVID-19 vaccines

South Africa plans to buy Russia’s Sputnik V vaccines and shots developed by China’s Sinopharm Group Co. Ltd as it steps up efforts to tackle the coronavirus.

The government will order 10 million doses of each shot, Health Minister Zweli Mkhize told lawmakers in Cape Town on Wednesday. “We are doing this now because we do expect the South African Health Products Regulatory Authority to approve those vaccines,” he said.

South Africa, the nation that’s been hardest hit by the pandemic on the continent, resumed its administration of Johnson & Johnson vaccines to health-care workers on Wednesday, after putting their use on hold for two weeks due to concerns that they could be linked to blood clots.

[Bloomberg]

neoprema

Expert Member
:ROFL: yeah right, I'll pass thanks,
But what if we run out of Pfzier and J&J and thats all thats left? Thats my worry. Or should I say we run out of Pfizer, J&J and Sputnik and only that chinese rubbish is left.... :eek:

Kodi

How many vaccine proposals and plans does it take? Damn useless bunch.

Brawler

Honorary Master
Brazil regulator rejected Sputnik yesterday. Guess we will pick up their cancelled order...

ajan

So many anti-vaxxers against the Russian and Chinese 5G implanted microchips. Why so much hate? You guys are selfish.

Kawak

If I don't get to choose my vaccine then I will pass on all of them, the Chinese ones just don't work, it's been proven again and again, sputnik is a maybe but the trials are still a bit patchy. I have a feeling this is geo political more than anything.

markings

Expert Member
Not taking either of these two rubbish vaccines. J&J or preferably Pfizer for me, thanks.
Sputnik V, top efficiency and no clotting reports. I will take it any time. It is not clear to me which Chinese one we will get but the ones I know of have a reasonable efficiency but not among the top ones.

Mystic Twilight

Expert Member
Russian one has promising results but dont think lancet have finalized the results, the chinese one is unknown as it doesn't seem to cause any problems but equally doesn't seem to do much ether, though circumstantial evidence seems to indicate it works as there is a lack of overflowing hospitals with patients in china.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
There is no way in hell I or any member of my family will accept either of those two vaccines. Mkhize and his masters can shove all 10 million doses where the sun does not shine. It is J & J Lot Pfizer or nothing.
And SAHPRAs approval does not make both any less credible or desirable.

SilverCode

The ANC can keep the Russian and Chinese vaccine for themselves. Distribute it among their ranks, send it to local branches and have ANC vaccination rallies. This is the time to let your selfish corruption shine and horde all those vaccines for yourselves! But please leave it out of the general vaccination program for all other citizens.