South Africa ranked as second worst country to be in during COVID-19 pandemic

JohnStarr

Executive Member
920,000 vaccines per day.
"no plan"

Woo boy, fake mainstream news sure hit you hard.
Got family who live there and they have heard absolutely nothing. No mention of it. Got friends over there. No mention of it.
Don't be a dick now please. (Never assume what a person reads otherwise you look like a fool).

NeoAcheron

Mmm I don't know (if you exclude health care)
Yes, we got lots of kak rules (no beaches, booze) but no way in hell I would want to be in Europe now.
Super hard lockdowns, huge numbers, weather is horrid, people are really miserable at the moment and seem to be hanging on by a thread.

At least here we can do day trips, restaurants, be outside in the great weather, go to parks (paid ones), etc.
I'm in the Netherlands right now. It's not nearly as bad as what you are saying. The rioters are a bunch of boys causing **** because they can't go and party after 9 (due to curfew). While I can't speak for the rest of Europe, it's actually pretty damn good here all things considered (and especially compared to South Africa).
The weather isn't great, but it's definitely not the worst.

Super hard lockdowns... LoL, let me go take a sip of my French champagne (which I can buy legally, at an open bottle store) while I scoff at your sober ignorance. We are allowed to go out, as long as there are too many people in one area, and a lot of people actually adhere to those rules. Hell, you're even allowed to walk your dog after curfew.

Edit: not to mention that my electricity stays on all the time.

JohnStarr

Executive Member
I'm in the Netherlands right now. It's not nearly as bad as what you are saying. The rioters are a bunch of boys causing **** because they can't go and party after 9 (due to curfew). While I can't speak for the rest of Europe, it's actually pretty damn good here all things considered (and especially compared to South Africa).
The weather isn't great, but it's definitely not the worst.

Super hard lockdowns... LoL, let me go take a sip of my French champagne (which I can buy legally, at an open bottle store) while I scoff at your sober ignorance. We are allowed to go out, as long as there are too many people in one area, and a lot of people actually adhere to those rules. Hell, you're even allowed to walk your dog after curfew
Too many people here that don't follow rules. That's either because they literally don't know how too understand them, or couldn't care less.
And, it turns out, we have a big problem related to alcohol where drunks go around beating up women and children. So, this useless government that gets voted in every 5 years, has decided the easiest way around this is an alcohol ban instead of addressing the bigger problem.
When the virus is under control and manageable, the drunks will go back to beating up women and children and government will consider their job done. And they won't address the underlying issues.

We aren't big drinkers at all at home so the ban doesn't bother us, but the ban is going to cost people jobs, and has already cost something like a combined R12.5 billion between ABInbev (SAB) and Heineken over the past 10 months.

Nod

Executive Member
Got family who live there and they have heard absolutely nothing. No mention of it. Got friends over there. No mention of it.
Don't be a dick now please. (Never assume what a person reads otherwise you look like a fool).
coronavirus-data-explorer.png

Mekon

Expert Member
For most countries, the biggest weapon against the coronavirus pandemic is rolling out vaccines to most of their population.
South Africa has, however, been slow to secure vaccines for its population. Bloomberg’s Covid Resilience Ranking shows the country has only secured vaccines for 6% of its population.

ANC needs time to prepare to loot most of the money before they do any rollout. cANCer is a bigger virus than covid in this misery of a country.

Vorastra

Executive Member
But you'll repeat what your ignorant friends and family say without actually checking. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Fun fact, Biden said he was going to "deliver 100 million vaccines in 100 days" after he criticised Trump for, as you said, not having a plan.
Then everyone started pointing out..."yeah, that's what Trump was already doing".

Biden the clown reacts:

Also, my mistake. Trump had a rolling average of 980,000 doses per day before he left. Not 920,000.

JohnStarr

Executive Member
But you'll repeat what your ignorant friends and family say without actually checking. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Fun fact, Biden said he was going to "deliver 100 million vaccines in 100 days" after he criticised Trump for, as you said, not having a plan.
Then everyone started pointing out..."yeah, that's what Trump was already doing".

Biden the clown reacts:
Trump fan, my family and friends don't speak about things. I am simply stating what I read on a few platforms.
All they said was that they've heard nothing about being offered the vaccine.

Clearly you're an assumer of things you know nothing about. Like matters of someone else across the Internet.

uchoose

I have family that lives in the UK. Besides the alcohol and beach issue, their lockdown makes ours look like a picnic. I'd much rather be here in SA than the UK.
The difference is the vulnerable will all be vaccinated and the UK will all be getting back to normal in 6 months. Here we will be on the 5th wave hitting 500,000 dead with little hope ahead of us Unemployment could reach at 60%. People will be starving leaving the immunity low. Then you will not be thinking you wish you were here.

The Darkness

Expert Member
The difference is the vulnerable will all be vaccinated and the UK will all be getting back to normal in 6 months. Here we will be on the 5th wave hitting 500,000 dead with little hope ahead of us Unemployment could reach at 60%. People will be starving leaving the immunity low. Then you will not be thinking you wish you were here.
This is true. The fact that not even 1 vaccine has happened here yet and it's Feb is really down to the rampant failure of this so-called-government. This is literally going to floor SA, which is already in a death spiral. There is zero communication and leadership here. Look at UK, Borris is constantly communicating with his people, things are happening.
The only hope is that this will break the ANC down and create opportunities for real change and leadership.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Can't say I agree with their ranking really.

In terms of what its like to live in this country during the pandemic, I would hardly say we're second worse (so long as you are middle class and have a stable job that isn't being impacted by the ANC's bollocks).

In terms of the governments response and ability to plan their way out of a wet paper bag, we're 100% stone fscking last.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Can't say I agree with their ranking really.

In terms of what its like to live in this country during the pandemic, I would hardly say we're second worse (so long as you are middle class and have a stable job that isn't being impacted by the ANC's bollocks).

In terms of the governments response and ability to plan their way out of a wet paper bag, we're 100% stone fscking last.
The ranking is in terms of resilience. I agree with them. There is no plan. There is no rational response. Therefore the country is unlikely to bounce back from the pandemic rapidly.

NeoAcheron

Too many people here that don't follow rules. That's either because they literally don't know how too understand them, or couldn't care less.
And, it turns out, we have a big problem related to alcohol where drunks go around beating up women and children. So, this useless government that gets voted in every 5 years, has decided the easiest way around this is an alcohol ban instead of addressing the bigger problem.
When the virus is under control and manageable, the drunks will go back to beating up women and children and government will consider their job done. And they won't address the underlying issues.

We aren't big drinkers at all at home so the ban doesn't bother us, but the ban is going to cost people jobs, and has already cost something like a combined R12.5 billion between ABInbev (SAB) and Heineken over the past 10 months.
Yup, I know, I only recently moved to the Netherlands from SA. South Africans have this complete disrespect for authority, I guess it's what years and years of abusive power does to a country.

I can completely understand why they banned alcohol sales, and that industry is suffering because of it. But you know, if it's not the companies suffering, it's the families of the drunks that suffer instead.

South Africa really is not a great place to be if you want a stable life, before or during lockdown. Sooner or later the issues of the country affects every person, whether they're wealthy or not. If you're telling yourself something else, then you haven't been sober long enough.