South Africa Reaches Interim Pay Deal With Public-Servant Unions

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
ffs, the only interim deal that would be even remotely acceptable is something like:
- f-all increases
- but ok we concede, we'll try not to do mass retrenchments in one shot, we'll phase it in rather

PHeX

When will the government start paying so called Back Pay?

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Your simplistic take is funny until you realize that the public sector is actually understaffed.
:ROFL: SAA had more people per airplane than any other airline in the world
our cabinet has more people in it than most, much bigger, countries
rock up at home affairs and one counter is open, but only because the other 10 employees are on a tea break

don't mistake inefficient for understaffed

KSM93

:ROFL: SAA had more people per airplane than any other airline in the world
our cabinet has more people in it than most, much bigger, countries
rock up at home affairs and one counter is open, but only because the other 10 employees are on a tea break

don't mistake inefficient for understaffed
A simplistic but ignorant take, but I'm not surprised. I'm not disputing that the ANC has corrupted the civil service.
SA battling Covid-19 third wave, but junior doctors are still waiting to be placed
I suppose that we have an oversupply of Doctors as well.

rh1

Expert Member
Your simplistic take is funny until you realize that the public sector is actually understaffed.
That is a funny joke. Maybe, what you were trying to state is the 2nd part of the following statement: Government is overstaffed with employees who cannot do their jobs due to a simple lack of skills and therefore appoint consultants to do the job and understaffed on employees with the right set of skills.

KSM93

That is a funny joke. Maybe, what you were trying to state is the 2nd part of the following statement: Government is overstaffed with employees who cannot do their jobs due to a simple lack of skills and therefore appoint consultants to do the job and understaffed on employees with the right set of skills.
What does incompetence and cadre deployment have to do with departments being understaffed.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Doctors are part of the civil service. Those were the major unions if you didn't know once they accept it becomes a mere formality.
doctors will not settle for 3.5%, that's why they emigrate

we can always import more Cuban doctors seeing as the ANC prefers that over taking care of local doctors anyway

however you choose to slice it, this specific agreement should never have been done, it's complete BS in the first place to negotiate a single figure for all civil servants, and I stand by the statement that the vast majority of them do not deserve a single cent, but rather a retrenchment

KSM93

doctors will not settle for 3.5%, that's why they emigrate

we can always import more Cuban doctors seeing as the ANC prefers that over taking care of local doctors anyway

however you choose to slice it, this specific agreement should never have been done, it's complete BS in the first place to negotiate a single figure for all civil servants, and I stand by the statement that the vast majority of them do not deserve a single cent, but rather a retrenchment
That'll create space for the junior doctors

rh1

Expert Member
What does incompetence and cadre deployment have to do with departments being understaffed.
I now believe you are trolling. If not, please enlightened us on how our gov departments are understaff so that I can refute you with facts and not blanket statements.

KSM93

I now believe you are trolling. If not, please enlightened us on how our gov departments are understaff so that I can refute you with facts and not blanket statements.
Here's a slam dunk
Not enough police officers at 90% of SAPS stations in GP, KZN, WC, NW
Health care nearing crisis due to shortage of nursing staff
South Africa: Staff Shortages Are Crippling Stats SA

That's just the tip of the iceberg not mentioning inadequate infrastructure. I await your refutation with bated breath