South Africa Reaches Interim Pay Deal With Public-Servant Unions

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
1.3 million public service personnel and we can't work out what the vok most of them actually do.

porchrat

Honorary Master
A simplistic but ignorant take, but I'm not surprised. I'm not disputing that the ANC has corrupted the civil service.
SA battling Covid-19 third wave, but junior doctors are still waiting to be placed
I suppose that we have an oversupply of Doctors as well.
Article says it's a lack of funding causing the inability to take on those interns.

The answer is obviously to increase the salaries of those that are currently employed by the state... because it can clearly afford it... oh wait...

rh1

Expert Member
You are right slam dunk, I repeat:
Government is overstaffed with employees who cannot do their jobs due to a simple lack of skills and therefore appoint consultants to do the job and understaffed on employees with the right set of skills.

So since you are struggling to connect the dots:
Take nursing:

We have 9 health departments, essentially doing the same jobs. So oversupply in Government Departments. There are Deputy Directors earning R800k-R1,2 million p.a. Directors R1.2Million -1.5million p.a and Chief Directors R1.5million+ p.a in each of these departments.

Undersupply in Nursing (people actually doing the job).

Your third link is not working.

Jola

Honorary Master
1.3 million public service personnel and we can't work out what the vok most of them actually do.

They do nothing.

My recent experience with SARS, DHA and the Master of the Supreme Court indicates that there is nobody there to do anything.

SAguy

Executive Member
Wasn't there a recent article about ANC finding all their ghost staff... Are they also going to get paid?

KSM93

You are right slam dunk, I repeat:
Government is overstaffed with employees who cannot do their jobs due to a simple lack of skills and therefore appoint consultants to do the job and understaffed on employees with the right set of skills.

So since you are struggling to connect the dots:
Take nursing:

We have 9 health departments, essentially doing the same jobs. So oversupply in Government Departments. There are Deputy Directors earning R800k-R1,2 million p.a. Directors R1.2Million -1.5million p.a and Chief Directors R1.5million+ p.a in each of these departments.

Undersupply in Nursing (people actually doing the job).

Your third link is not working.
Departments even in the private sector have Directors so that's a non sequitur. Cadre deployment and being understaffed is two different things. Are cops using consultants as well or there is just a shortage?