South Africa reports new Covid-19 variant of interest to WHO

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
China:
7c0ba8f4a97cc35d0e0034a7ae2d1e03.gif

notayoba

Now watch the world media call this 'The 2nd South African variant' again. When another country identifies a variant they call it Delta. We do it, and suddenly it's name, shame and shoot the messenger.

Superjakes

Expert Member
I had a Teams call with a European colleague this morning - she said that SA is in the news. Turns out it is for this. How does Europe know this before us?

backstreetboy

Honorary Master

Spizz

Goat Botherer
More lockdowns and restrictions on travel incoming.

It's seriously depressing, you watch the football in UK over the weekend and see full stadiums everywhere. You look at MyBB on a Monday morning and it's crawling with anti-vaxxers spreading BS and prolonging a semblance of normality for the rest of us.

What a joke of a country. No wonder we hover bottom of the IQ league with an average of 77.

Conack

Expert Member
More lockdowns and restrictions on travel incoming.

It's seriously depressing, you watch the football in UK over the weekend and see full stadiums everywhere. You look at MyBB on a Monday morning and it's crawling with anti-vaxxers spreading BS and prolonging a semblance of normality for the rest of us.

What a joke of a country. No wonder we hover bottom of the IQ league with an average of 77.

Please explain to me how getting vaccinated is going to bring back normality for anyone?
Israel is the prime example of a highly vaccinated country from months ago.
How did that work out for them?

20 August:

Vaxed and non-vaxed, both are spreading Covid.

The depressing part is people who refuse to acknowledge that and only wish to demonize and threaten those who question this nonsensical narrative that the vaccines are going to wipe out Covid.

We've seen the new variants are defeating the vaccinated already. More vaccines, more mutations. You're not stopping the spreading by getting a jab. At best you're reducing your own risk profile by X percent. Get the jab be happy, go on with your life.

If the other guy doesn't get it - it doesn't change anything for you.

Last edited:

Conack

Expert Member
It's almost as if a slow vaccination drive is allowing for new mutations to take place.
It's almost as if covid vaccinating the whole world was always going to be a very slow process and doomed to fail from the start like some warned from the start - but were immediately branded as "anti-vaxxers".

How does one expect to vaccinate *everyone* in poor countries in one fell swoop?
The covid vaccine isn't like a polio vaccine.
See annual Flu shots as an example. It keeps mutating and it's been going on rampant for how long?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I had a Teams call with a European colleague this morning - she said that SA is in the news. Turns out it is for this. How does Europe know this before us?
Because you don't watch local SABC TV! But you are right, nothing on the DoH website yet the new variant was found in May and logged as a VOI. Not sure if it has been given greek letter yet or if it is the same as "Lambda"?

LCBXX

Honorary Master
I trust the science and therefore I comprehensively lay the blame for this new variant on the shoulders of the unvaccinated who didn't stay home and caught covid from me, who is vaccinated, where it then mutated into a new variant, and now I probably need a booster.

PS: I did wear a mask.

Last edited:

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
It's almost as if a slow vaccination drive is allowing for new mutations to take place.
Of course, it is! That is the reason why the vax rollout strategy followed was flawed from the get-go!.

Once the HCWs were done, that strategy should have changed to a hard-hitting total coverage per area getting to everyone over the age of 18 quickly. Instead, we continued spreading the vaccines all over the place, just encouraging more mutations to emerge. But the "experts" always know better.

Madhawk

Honorary Master

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
How many threads can you have on the same (non) story:

Variants of interest are discovered every day. Variants of concern are more, errr concerning...

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
How many threads can you have on the same (non) story:

Variants of interest are discovered every day. Variants of concern are more, errr concerning...
It was a VoI in May. Presumably, it is now upgraded to a VoC?

neoprema

Executive Member
Soon this won't even be news. I mean we don't headline every Flu variant either.

Just get vaccinated, build immunity, wait for more medication to come out and don't turn every reaction of COVID's into a possible end of society. Its clear this thing is bad, but it is also controllable and we're making headway.