South Africa returns to level 3 lockdown

Mila

Honorary Master
When
Can confirm. My folks live there, they got a bill, of R60k while my dad was lying in ICU, when they in actual fact, owe my parent's 17k in credit, for charging them on another empty stand. I love my home town, but damn, it's a **** show
Its so sad. The people are really being screwed. ( all people)
the hospital , Van velden. Is it even operational? The gras is so long it looks abandoned

Dianysis

Expert Member
Edit: Even worse hahaha, hotspots can't have people entering or leaving. So never mind the provincial level restrictions, if your house is in a hotspot you can learn to camp just outside the perimeter until the restriction is lifted.

Source?

Johand

Expert Member
Well I for one support the president. Things were getting out of control. Granted it is the 10% of idiots ruining it for the rest of us but difficult to only restrict them - we don't have enough police to enforce rules so just doing a blanket ban will have to do. And frankly the alcohol industry hasn't been coming to the party. Imagine what the country will look like if just a couple of drunk idiots party, go back to their respective home towns and spread it there.

The biggest worry in our covid figures is not the absolute number - it is the positivity rate of test beig done - good indication that our numbers are far far larger than the absolute numbers seen.

I just wish lyfstraf was an option for the people that don't wear masks - fines and imprisonment are impractical - but a quick on the spot beating will let the message sink in quickly.

We need to stop the infection trend before most people get back to work otherwise our economy is going to take a real beating.

Urist

Expert Member
Under the adjusted level 3 regulations:

• All indoor and outdoor gatherings will be prohibited for 14 days from the date hereof, except for funerals
  • Funerals may not be attended by more than 50 people with social distancing.
  • Every business premises must determine the maximum number of staff and customers permitted at any one time based on our social-distancing guidelines and may not exceed that limit.
  • The nationwide curfew will be extended from 9pm to 6am. Apart from permitted workers and for medical and security emergencies, nobody is allowed outside their place of residence during curfew.
  • Non-essential establishments – including shops, restaurants, bars and all cultural venues – must close at 8pm. The list of these establishments will be released shortly.
  • From now on it is compulsory for every person to wear a mask in a public space. A person who does not wear a cloth mask covering over the nose and mouth in a public place will be committing an offence.
  • A person who does not wear a mask could be arrested and prosecuted. On conviction, they will be liable to a fine or to imprisonment for a period not exceeding six months or to both a fine and imprisonment.
Under the strengthened regulations:

• The sale of alcohol from retail outlets and the on-site consumption of alcohol will not be permitted.
  • The prohibition on consuming alcohol in public spaces like parks and beaches remains.
  • Distribution and transportation will be prohibited with exceptions that will be explained by the minister.
  • These regulations may be reviewed within the next few weeks if we see a sustained decline in infections and hospital admissions.
  • In effect, the adjusted Level 3 regulations will keep the economy open while strengthening measures to reduce transmission.
  • With a few exceptions, businesses may continue to operate as long as all relevant health protocols and social distancing measures are adhered to.
  • Night clubs and businesses engaged in the sale and transportation of liquor will not be allowed to operate.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Under the adjusted level 3 regulations:

• All indoor and outdoor gatherings will be prohibited for 14 days from the date hereof, except for funerals
  • Funerals may not be attended by more than 50 people with social distancing.
  • Every business premises must determine the maximum number of staff and customers permitted at any one time based on our social-distancing guidelines and may not exceed that limit.
  • The nationwide curfew will be extended from 9pm to 6am. Apart from permitted workers and for medical and security emergencies, nobody is allowed outside their place of residence during curfew.
  • Non-essential establishments – including shops, restaurants, bars and all cultural venues – must close at 8pm. The list of these establishments will be released shortly.
  • From now on it is compulsory for every person to wear a mask in a public space. A person who does not wear a cloth mask covering over the nose and mouth in a public place will be committing an offence.
  • A person who does not wear a mask could be arrested and prosecuted. On conviction, they will be liable to a fine or to imprisonment for a period not exceeding six months or to both a fine and imprisonment.
Under the strengthened regulations:

• The sale of alcohol from retail outlets and the on-site consumption of alcohol will not be permitted.
  • The prohibition on consuming alcohol in public spaces like parks and beaches remains.
  • Distribution and transportation will be prohibited with exceptions that will be explained by the minister.
  • These regulations may be reviewed within the next few weeks if we see a sustained decline in infections and hospital admissions.
  • In effect, the adjusted Level 3 regulations will keep the economy open while strengthening measures to reduce transmission.
  • With a few exceptions, businesses may continue to operate as long as all relevant health protocols and social distancing measures are adhered to.
  • Night clubs and businesses engaged in the sale and transportation of liquor will not be allowed to operate.
I'm pretty sure that list was made before the regs were gazetted. Despite what Cyril said last night bars are closed. ;)

Last edited:

Mekon

Expert Member
Unfortunately yes... when they pay..
He loves his job and the people but i have horror sorries about a municipality that was one of the riches in the area in 1998 and are now bankrupt, about how the unqualified tea lady became the FM ( she was the mayor’s squeeza)

the ANC and EFF truly screw things up.
The toen is painted red and Malema’s house is derelict.
He won so many road and bridge tenders that are just not completed and standing in ruin.
Sounds like a cANCer success story them being a circus side show

Mila

Honorary Master
Doesn't Eskom do the switching themselves (main subs)? Tzaneen is a small town.

Maybe they only leave their homes to do fault-finding and repairs.
Just asked my dad how it works.
He says they love Loadshedding, overtime plus call out fee. He only does it when there is no technician sober or available.
They ( Muni) has to drive out to every substation and physically do it. So depending on the level, it depends on the time the guy claims overtime.

the actual work they get paid for doesn’t get done cause covid but when overtime and call out fees are in question no one is scared. Also the management isn’t working so even if techies wants to work they are not given jobs, but who wants to work if you can sit at home and get paid and just do the odd overtime and call out to increase your salary, but that is also a bit of a jam cause they claim over time but the admin needing to do do this is only in the office for half a day once a week .. because covid)

( ok I’ll stop derailing now sorry)

RedViking

Nord of the South
Government Gazette received on WhatsApp, check if it is official from gov website

yebocan

Honorary Master
Well I for one support the president. Things were getting out of control. Granted it is the 10% of idiots ruining it for the rest of us but difficult to only restrict them - we don't have enough police to enforce rules so just doing a blanket ban will have to do. And frankly the alcohol industry hasn't been coming to the party. Imagine what the country will look like if just a couple of drunk idiots party, go back to their respective home towns and spread it there.

The biggest worry in our covid figures is not the absolute number - it is the positivity rate of test beig done - good indication that our numbers are far far larger than the absolute numbers seen.

I just wish lyfstraf was an option for the people that don't wear masks - fines and imprisonment are impractical - but a quick on the spot beating will let the message sink in quickly.

We need to stop the infection trend before most people get back to work otherwise our economy is going to take a real beating.

Like the old man said, we are social beings... + some are just not able to do fortress of solitude protocol- rather risk infection than sit with themselves... at the core trying to balance human life with livelihood....listening to him last night, -especially the last part of his address, the passion , authentic passion...for our country and it's people ...I was grateful...he is leading and no one else.

Unfortunately, some will only truly take **** seriously when it hits closer to home...the beauty of freewill.

eg2505

Honorary Master
let me ask this question,
when eventually the Vaccine becomes available widely,

will people that got the vaccine be forced to identify themselves constantly,
and those that haven't got the vaccine be put into lock-down until they can prove they dont have covid?
will people who refuse the vaccine (for whatever reason) be put under pressure to accept the vaccine

more and more sounds like the Nazis, wear an armband to identify you,
if you dont we will beat you, or incarcerate you for no reason.

I mean I get it, people are dying,but many recover perfectly well,
this isn't Chernobyl dust that accumulates and can kill
this is a flu that is highly infections and majority who get it will live through it.

kfc4unme

So when does Zuma do her speech so that I can see if I am stuck in my campsite or if I am allowed to travel home?

Lupus

Honorary Master
So many Potholes they can just as well not have tar.
I have relatives in Tzaneen and Lydenburg so I have a bit more info on those two towns.
My Dad did contract work for Tzaneen municipality ( he used to work for them before he retired, they couldn’t get someone to do his job so they contracted him back)
They have not paid him since March.
He is essential services, he reconnects high voltage lines and works with transformers at the big packhouses and farmers in the rural areas.
He has resubmitted his invoices they just say it’s covid they are high risk ( fat, diabetic and hypertensive) so they have no one that can process the invoices.

and you can see that the Municipality has stopped working if you drive through town.
( it was bad pre Covid, but now they have an excuse to not even pitch up at the office)
Should see Joburg, the bright Sparks closed the asphalt production due to lockdowns, so it hasn't been running since March fired it up about a month ago, falls over flat.
So our roads are potholed, of course all of this only really started happening when the ANC took over again in 2019. Yet who do they blame the previous lot. They love that excuse, City power has had just as many issues since 2019,areas out for days on end yet it is somehow the DAs fault.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Should see Joburg, the bright Sparks closed the asphalt production due to lockdowns, so it hasn't been running since March fired it up about a month ago, falls over flat.
So our roads are potholed, of course all of this only really started happening when the ANC took over again in 2019. Yet who do they blame the previous lot. They love that excuse, City power has had just as many issues since 2019,areas out for days on end yet it is somehow the DAs fault.
viva ANC viva,
still waiting for the election posters that will say how the ANC in its infinite wisdom defeated Covid.

Nereus77

and those that haven't got the vaccine be put into lock-down until they can prove they dont have covid?
will people who refuse the vaccine (for whatever reason) be put under pressure to accept the vaccine

this is a flu that is highly infections and majority who get it will live through it.

I think the pandemic will be declared over when 90% have been vaccinated. I'd certainly like to be one of the healthy so I'd take the vaccination. There may be some exemptions like small children and breastfeeding mothers...?

I doubt we'd wear an armband to identify ourselves. More like we'd each have a vaccination card with a stamp (like a child's Road To Health book, but smaller and simpler)? Or some digital system involving our ID's? They would have to devise a system that would be a.) simple and b.) part of something that exists already.

I can see govt putting incentives to get the vaccine. Music festival entry, perhaps? Free KFC Streetwise + T-shirt? No? How about a lollipop?

(BTW, the T-shirt would read: "I survived 2020!" with a picture of Cyril putting on his mask over his eyes)

Last edited:

Johand

Expert Member

Vaccinations are not really about protecting individuals - we just need to get enough people vaccinated to get the R-number below 1.

This entire pandemic have illustrated to me how selfish people can be... The " I am not vulnerable so this is an overreaction" crowd drives me nuts. Hospitals are full. People are dying. And the last thing we need to do is give the virus the space and material to mutate. Imagine we get a variant that is worse for kids or people in their prime. Then we would be properly screwed.

I am pretty sure the death toll due to Covid will be WAY more than Chernobyl.