South Africa reveals plan to save Eskom

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
South Africa reveals plan to save Eskom

South Africa unveiled its long-awaited plan to save the debt-stricken state power utility, including exposing it to greater competition, lowering fuel costs, increasing renewable-energy output and selling non-core assets.

A policy paper released by Public Enterprises Minister Pravin Gordhan envisions Eskom Holdings SOC Ltd. relinquishing its almost century-old near-monopoly of the electricity industry.

[Bloomberg]

Jopie Fourie

Expert Member
Here is absolutely no plan. They are all clueless as to what to do and how they will be doing it. The whole speech presented just demonstrated confusion about what is happening at Eskom and government. Gordhan's speech showed people's hands tied behind their back while trying to kill flames around them.

Thor

Honorary Master
Goodluck - March next year is too late, but Afrika time it is.

Blue Shirt

Much ado about nothing.

Privatisation is "fake news" :laugh:

Carry on uncle Pravin, let's see if any of your cadres can rescue the dinosaur.

HBee

Expert Member
No wonder ramaphosa sleeps though everything, because the same old plans that never get implemented get presented. Man I wish I could keep getting paid for a piece of work i inherited from my predecessor while doing squat.

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
3 clusters of power stations? Old Coal, Koeberg and then all the gas/water generators?

system32

Expert Member
As a first step, its transmission unit will be hived off by March next year (2020) while remaining under the control of a state holding company, a move that will make it easier for private generators to supply the national grid
Who wants to bet that by March 2020 only more expenses will have been "hived" onto the tax payer and nothing will have changed.

David101

South Africa's version of a new year's resolution. Full of promise... zero on action

SoldierMan

Expert Member
Am I missing something, what evidence over the last 25 years is there that private generators are going to come in to save the day. That is also what the ANC and ESKOM were counting on in the past to increase supply but it never happened.

What has changed?

Gordon_R

Executive Member
A few interesting ideas, but desperately short on detailed implementation, and still beholden to vested interests: