South Africa sickened by Zuma’s Mandela ‘kidnap’

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/46601...kened-by-jacob-zumas-kidnap-of-nelson-mandela

In a desperate attempt to boost his bid for the South African presidency, ANC leader Jacob Zuma forced Nelson Mandela to appear at a rally

South Africans are reeling from the news that Nelson Mandela was effectively kidnapped recently by former comrades in the African National Congress, desperately seeking to drum up support for the party at national elections to be held in April.

Supporters of ANC presidential candidate Jacob Zuma, who is awaiting trial on charges of corruption, swooped on Mandela's home near Johannesburg last week while the ailing 90-year-old's wife was away. The old man was whisked off to a mass rally in the party's former heartland of the Eastern Cape.

Zuma's bodyguards took charge of the trip, sidelining Mandela's own security detail and abandoning all the normal safety precautions that are taken for the father of post-Apartheid South Africa.
Many South Africans were sickened by the sight of Mandela being manhandled at the rally
Nelson Mandela

The private plane carrying Mandela to the rally made repeated attempts to land at its destination in very bad weather, endangering the icon's life. No emergency healthcare was laid on to safeguard his increasingly frail health.

The former South African president was eventually lifted on to the stage by a desperate Zuma and his aides so that he could be seen to be present at the rally. Mandela did not address the crowd.

The symbolic appearance was stage-managed to shore up former gardener Zuma's bid for the presidency, which has been rocked by a recent split in the ANC and the formation of the Congress of the People, a new nationwide black political party.

Many South Africans were sickened by the sight of the old man being manhandled at the event, with photographs of Zuma clutching Mandela's hand gracing the front pages of national newspapers.

Sources familiar with what happened said Mandela, who usually starts going to bed at 4pm, was only brought home several hours later, after dark.

The ANC's spokeswoman, Jessie Duarte, said that Mandela is "no longer a prisoner" and can appear at any political rally that he chooses.

The Nelson Mandela Foundation, which has managed Mandela's travel arrangements since he stepped down as president in 1999 was not allowed to help or make plans for the visit to the Eastern Cape. "It really was very bad and irresponsible treatment of the old man," one Mandela confidant told the press.
Fikile Mbalula, former leader of the ANC Youth League, at a press conference to explain the effective kidnapping of Nelson Mandela
Fikile Mbalula

"He really doesn't need this kind of nonsense at his time of life," a family friend told the press.

Bad publicity generated by the incident has rebounded on the ANC and Jacob Zuma. A meeting has been called between the party and the Nelson Mandela Foundation, which was extremely critical of the old man's treatment.

Zuma, who already styles himself "President" on his campaign literature, has turned on those making the allegations, attacking the media and the Nelson Mandela Foundation for their criticisms. "What happens between Madiba [Mandela] and the ANC is nobody else's business," he told a political rally in Cape Town on Sunday.

Mandela was fetched from his home in Houghton, Johannesburg by firebrand and former leader of the ANC Youth League, Fikile Mbalula, and by his grandson, Mandla Mandela, on behalf of Zuma.

The Eastern Cape has become a battleground for the ANC in an election that is being fought along increasingly tribal lines. Zuma, a Zulu, is struggling to retain a majority in the province, which blames him for overthrowing the former president, Thabo Mbeki - a Xhosa, like Mandela. The region is predominantly Xhosa.

People who have visited Mandela in the past few months said he had shown little interest in recent developments within the party.

Accurate news, or sensationalist reporting? :rolleyes:

sox63

Executive Member
Sensationalist.

I did not see Mandela "manhandled" at this rally.

lws

This was on the front page of the Sunday Times last week. Given how "accurate" their reporting has been of late, my sister and I reckon there will be a retraction or some piece on how they will insist why they won't retract next week.

I think Zuma then went on to say Mandela WANTED to do it the following day (again another report in the daily Times).

Blaze786

Expert Member
I think they went a bit over the top, I doubt he was kidnapped. But than again I am sceptical about Mandela's reasons for appearing.

Sackboy

Executive Member
Mandela went because he's a 'dyed in the wool' ANC member. He's surrounded by advisors and nurses and relatives, not to mention guards. I doubt he was coerced in any way.

TheHiveMind

Banned
I think it is very desperate, and low, to try to get him there just to garner support..
Its usuary dressed up as respect.

Then again, they will do anything to win, they have admitted that.

Zuma was a gardener?.. ???

And Malema just the other day said that gardeners are not worth debating. Eish lol

Last edited:

Sackboy

Executive Member
I think it is very desperate, and low, to try to get him there just to garner support..

And Malema just the other day said that gardeners are not worth debating. Eish lol
A life member of the ANC is asked to support what ... the ANC...!!! Gawd forbid that such a thing should be allowed to happen :D

JungleBoy

Executive Member

err..get your tenses right, eish dude :D

TheHiveMind

Banned
err..get your tenses right, eish dude :D

Oh wow, you are pretending that you do not understand my point, how unexpected.

Basically what Malema is saying is that opinions of gardeners are insignificant, and should not be given the time of day. I find it funny seeing as though half their voter base are gardeners, and that if everyone had passed Zuma off as being insignificant and not worth the time of day, he would never have gotten to where he is. Yeah, Eish!

TheHiveMind

Banned
A life member of the ANC is asked to support what ... the ANC...!!! Gawd forbid that such a thing should be allowed to happen :D

If he wasn't so old I would have absolutely no issue. Also he expressly said he would stay out of this and distanced himself from politics. So why this change????? Something is odd.

Last edited:
F

Fudzy

Oh the drama! Mandela was and still is probably one of the strongest characters the world has ever seen, doubt anything would change at this point in the game.

DJ...

Banned
What a heap of sensationalist drivel. That is some of the most awful reporting I've read in ages. I'm not in support of Mandela attending, however neither am I in support of articles which read as propaganda...

Alan

Honorary Master
Julius Streicher would be impressed by this. Just more idealists unable to accept that they've been duped yet again.

I wonder how CNN, the BBC and co are going to deal with this. Run with the whole "kidnapping" tinfoil hat conspiracy theory or perhaps just sweep the whole incident under the carpet like they usual do with ideologically unsavoury news they feel the lemmings needn't hear about

TheHiveMind

Banned
Sounds sensationalist although I wasn't there and I don't have a tv, so can't say.
Its pretty annoying because there are valid questions about this, and sensationalism doesn't help to get people to ask those questions. They are just shrugged off as tin foil stuff.

semiautomatix

Honorary Master
Out of interest for those people who believe a tinfoil hat is necessary to read the mass media... :rolleyes:

"Kidnapped" yes. He was looking very old at that rally and not mightily impressed to be there. So believe what you will, but its the ignoring of obvious fact that has messed this continent up for the umpteenth time.

dappled

Banned
If mandela was kidnapped, he must say he was kidnapped.

Mandela cannot have it both ways- either he supports ZUMAANC or he does not.

So far I understand Mandela has not said he was kidnapped. He himself has not said he was "taken". Until Mandela himself says this, I will believe he attended Zuma on his own free will, and that he knew what he was doing.