South Africa the only region where Microsoft broke its Azure data centre promise

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator

recre8

Ugh, how much longer. The longer it takes, the more resources I'll have to migrate.

FirstShopMarketing

FirstShop representative
Company Rep
Are there any community members that know why there is a delay and any idea when the service will be launched?

Nice article Jan - keep on it

Temujin

Honorary Master
If you want to keep to schedules and budgets here, you need to import your own manpower, surely the world knows this already

mister

Executive Member
Are there any community members that know why there is a delay and any idea when the service will be launched?

Nice article Jan - keep on it

Congrats on your first post since 2015! Wasted quite a bit of marketing time eh? Maybe you guys were too busy with your NewEgg venture? :ROFL:

ripclaw

Expert Member
Maybe Microsoft has adopted a wait-and-see attitude until the 2019 elections are done and dusted, and after the dust has settled?

Cius

Executive Member
More likely concerns about electricity stability. Data centres and load shedding don't go well together.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
More likely concerns about electricity stability. Data centres and load shedding don't go well together.

It goes just fine...I work in the same building and during all the load shedding the entire building has never even blinked.

It's a bullshit anti-marketing fallacy that one.

And from my external perspective part of the delay with Azure was getting tenants out to secure the floor space for presumably the Azure expansion.

So more than likely it was contractual hookups.

I know water use licenses were also a hold up with the whole Cape Town crisis and another big venture similar to Azure so wouldn't be surprised if the same problem affected them.

AndresmitZA10

I suspect they will announce it an Ignite. They do have a new S.A. CEO after all, she must be under pressure to sort it out.

Arthur

Honorary Master
It's unfair to call this a broken promise. They had internal targets, and shared those with customers and media. That's very different from a promised date, now broken.

Reading between the lines, it seems that Msft is not prepared to roll out the SA Azure DCs without hand-on-heart certainty that best-in-class service and performance levels can be guaranteed. After all, they've done Azure DCs many times before, know exactly what's involved, and have the skills in place. The delay is due to unresolved local issues beyond their control, and it's intensely frustrating.

Lousy as it is for us, it's also reassuring that they're not prepared to roll with a less than rock-solid implementation. It's reassuring that they have sufficiently high standards and are simply not prepared to compromise them for any reason.

Last edited:

HennieWelkom

I only ever used Azure to host websites and for the small scale I used it for I could never really find any issues with Websites hosted trough azure on a European or NA data center

Steph_boii

I want better ping for gaming, had great plans for December and then yes...The excitement is dimming.