South Africa to Broaden Vaccine Rollout With Pfizer Doses Monday

rpm

Admin
Staff member
South Africa to Broaden Vaccine Rollout With Pfizer Doses Monday

South Africa said it will broaden Covid-19 vaccines rollout to health-care workers and people over the age of 60 starting Monday.

The government will start a mass vaccination effort at 87 sites across the country using Pfizer doses administered to frontline health-care workers and the elderly, Zweli Mkhize, the health minister said in an online briefing Sunday.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
I read in a newsletter sent out by Discovery that 480,000 healthcare workers have been vaccinated and 700,000 still needs to be vaccinated. So does that mean we have 1.2m healthcare workers in South Africa? Or a ratio of about 1:60? That seems incredible.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
I read in a newsletter sent out by Discovery that 480,000 healthcare workers have been vaccinated and 700,000 still needs to be vaccinated. So does that mean we have 1.2m healthcare workers in South Africa? Or a ratio of about 1:60? That seems incredible.

I think it's a category definition thing. A cleaner working in a hospital is classified as a health-care worker. If you add all those occupations, plus old-age homes, the numbers get big.

RedViking

Nord of the South
So between 7 - 8 million doses.

What about the other 50 million?

Nurple Derple

Honorary Master
Did anybody actually get an SMS (telling you when you are going to receive your vaccine) yet?

surface

Honorary Master

I got below mail from discovery

Vaccine availability and site readiness

The country has secured a total of 62 million doses of vaccine: 31 million of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine (which requires two doses per person) and 31 million of the J&J vaccine (which is a single dose). This is sufficient to cover 42 million people. Given the high vaccine demand globally, the delivery of these doses is spread over the year, accelerating in the third and fourth quarters.

In terms of the kick-off from 17 May, vaccine deliveries have been underway to 87 approved vaccination sites across the public and private sector. These initial sites will expand in number in the next two weeks, with the intention to expand to 3,000 vaccination sites at the peak of rollout during July and August.

Sufficient stock has been procured to deliver 6.5 million doses to people by the end of June. Current delivery information indicates that there is no anticipated shortage of supply, and consequently, reaching vulnerable groups by end July is achievable.

The pace of implementation will be moderate in the first few weeks to ensure operations are running smoothly and efficiently – and will accelerate thereafter. This is a prudent approach, based on learnings from global experience.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood

A shockingly high number of MyBB'ers indicated that they aren't interested in registering for a vaccine:

If the general population shares those sentiments, we don't need to buy vaccines to cover 50 million people.

Aghori

Honorary Master
A shockingly high number of MyBB'ers indicated that they aren't interested in registering for a vaccine:

If the general population shares those sentiments, we don't need to buy vaccines to cover 50 million people.

There's a good reason why some people are refusing the vaccine.

krycor

Honorary Master

I have a feeling the Da, Vfp etc are gonna be crying buckets longer term as it's a lot of their supporters which i find hard to understand.

I mean when you have vaccine hesitancy among the non tech, 90yr old.. its like.. ok.. not tech literate etc. so u expect some of that.. but a 60-65yr old who believes they know know everything but then refuse it because its this or that global conspiracy spread on the whatsapp group.. you know the same whats app group that keeps them updated on the latest gov news.. ;)

yah good luck.

Lupus

Honorary Master

Tells me I can't as I'm under 60

surface

Honorary Master

I don't think this forum is representative of the myBB intellectuals who assert that covid is just another flu.