South Africa to Broaden Vaccine Rollout With Pfizer Doses Monday

Nurple Derple

Honorary Master
/facepalm

"my calculations"
represent run of the mill, super simple stats, if you have a more elegant (yet simple) approach I'd be all ears

why not actually inspect the method rather than don those blinkers and just reject by calling it "mine"?

take a page out of @Daveogg 's book

to answer you grossly (intentional?) misinterpreted response though: no, that simple math shows that the Delta variant must be less deadly, because there is a larger drop in death rate than can be explained by the vaccine efficacy alone
So you're using a sample which as already been vaccinated to prove that vaccinations are not the main reason people the death rate has dropped. And you don't see the problem there?

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
So you're using a sample which as already been vaccinated to prove that vaccinations are not the main reason people the death rate has dropped. And you don't see the problem there?
I now see my mistake, assuming you understand simple math, my bad

the "sample" I used is the actual UK figures, their entire population is at ±80 vaccinated with at least one dose, the other ±20% is not vaccinated at all

that combined population is real, and their combined 0.2% death rate with the Delta wave is also real

but ok, when you initially asked for the math I assumed it would be a waste of my time as you've already decided to reject it before seeing it, and now we can add that you don't even understand it

I tried despite my misgivings, enough

SlowInternet

Executive Member
Had my 1st Pfizer vaccine this morning. Queue wasn't that long but we waited for more than 2 hours to get inside.

After an hour of waiting a big group of Government workers arrived and they were given preference to be assisted first until the rest started complaining.

People were given the choice between J&J and Pfizer.

Hopefully I don't start getting weird dreams about Bill Gates.

Leno

Expert Member
Looks like Pfizer stock problems, went to NMU in PE today where my friend had Pfizer last week and they only had J&J (they had for people getting their 2nd shot) so I took it anyway, sick of driving around trying to find a walk in center.
My flatmate is very high risk and he cant get his shot yet (!) so its better than nothing right now.
I would also rather get J&J than Sinovac

Did more J&J stock come in, as I thought the only imported stock was being used by the Education Dept, Police etc after Aspen had to destroy the ones they had assembled.

noxibox

Honorary Master
stories about family members dying you tell
Certainly unfortunate, but not really relevant overall. I can tell stories about family members not dying. That doesn't change the fact that they are indeed in a higher risk group. Similarly stories about someone in a lower risk group dying don't change the actual risk profile.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Unless more sites open up fast ~275K seems like the maximum the nation can handle at the moment

By my count the highest single day total was 273 000, so we are just about at that maximum.

Government's plan is to reach 300 000 per day, so we will need a few more centres. The 300 000 target was for the end of August, I can see us getting there earlier.

Edit: Business for SA slides shared by Mia Malan on Twitter show that current capacity is 326 600 vaccinations per day and that this can be ramped up to 419 200.

Last edited:

ebendl

Expert Member
By my count the highest single day total was 273 000, so we are just about at that maximum.

Government's plan is to reach 300 000 per day, so we will need a few more centres. The 300 000 target was for the end of August, I can see us getting there earlier.

Edit: Business for SA slides shared by Mia Malan on Twitter show that current capacity is 326 600 vaccinations per day and that this can be ramped up to 419 200.
"Getting there earlier" and this government don't often feature in the same sentence!

(Unless "there" means "tender" or "buffet")

Priapus

Executive Member

Certinally good progress. We should see 300k a day by mid August.