South Africa to Broaden Vaccine Rollout With Pfizer Doses Monday

The US government will begin shipping a donation of 5.66-million Pfizer-BioNTech coronavirus vaccines to SA on Wednesday, with the first consignment expected to land on Saturday, a senior US government official has told Business Day.

The donation will provide a significant boost to SA’s immunisation programme, which after a series of delays got off to a slower than anticipated start in mid-May due to supply constraints. As of Tuesday evening, a total of 6.8-million vaccine doses had been administered, but only 2.58-million people were fully immunised with either the single-shot Johnson & Johnson vaccine or the double-shot Pfizer jab.

Significant donation. Thank-you to the kind Mr. Biden.

Jetty

Passed 7 million vaccinations.
6 days again for this million vaccinations but apparently weekend vaccinations will be running at almost full capacity from this weekend: source
So should pick up the pace soon.

1st million vaccinations took 104 days.
2nd million vaccinations took 16 days.
3rd million vaccinations took 13 days.
4th million vaccinations took 8 days.
5th million vaccinations took 8 days.
6th million vaccinations took 6 days.
7th million vaccinations took 6 days.

Last edited:

Priapus

Executive Member
Passed 7 million vaccinations.
6 days again for this million vaccinations but apparently weekend vaccinations will be running at almost full capacity from this weekend: source
So should pick up the pace soon.

1st million vaccinations took 104 days.
2nd million vaccinations took 16 days.
3rd million vaccinations took 13 days.
4th million vaccinations took 8 days.
5th million vaccinations took 8 days.
6th million vaccinations took 6 days.
7th million vaccinations took 6 days.

I think it is also important to note that just because there has been 7 million doses noes not mean 7 million people have had the jab.

However, still good progress.

Messugga

Honorary Master
I think it is also important to note that just because there has been 7 million doses noes not mean 7 million people have had the jab.

However, still good progress.
That's why they report fully vaccinated numbers separately, no?

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
How much Pfizer did we buy? I think 30 million shots (15 million people), and 31 million J&J. So in that case we need to give 61 million shots, which will take roughly 61/0.25 = 49 weeks total.

Cage Rattler

I wonder what SA paid per Pfizer dose. Israel initially paid $62 per dose. One poorer European country only paid $12 per dose. Brazil paid $10 per dose.

Last edited:

cr@zydude

Executive Member
214 480 new vaccinations were reported yesterday. The 7 day average declined to 170 686.