South Africa to Broaden Vaccine Rollout With Pfizer Doses Monday

noxibox

Honorary Master
At other locations there are so many people that it is taking two hours to get through the whole process.

It would be extremely concerning if vaccine hesitancy is creeping in before South Africa has even reached 10% coverage
The increasing average could have been driven by an initial surge of people wanting to rush out and get it as soon as possible. It would subsequently taper off in that case. Then there is all the media coverage of waning antibodies making people wonder why bother or would it be better to wait until closer to the next wave (which apparently is moving from October until later in the year now that they’ve managed to avoid having elections)? Neither can the poor load balancing between locations be helping. Nor stories about shortages.

notayoba

I suspect some of the declines in vaccination pace is due to people over 60 having more time to go sit in a queue all day, whereas people aged 35-50 are at work, and you can't spend the whole day at a vax center hoping to get a walk-in shot (I have yet to hear of anyone actually getting an appointment SMS, everyone just do walk-ins and hope for the best.)

Took me 3 attempts to get my first shot, on the first 2 attempts there were queues round out into the parking lot, and I didn't even bother. on the 3rd attempt there were like 10 people in total.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
I suspect some of the declines in vaccination pace is due to people over 60 having more time to go sit in a queue all day, whereas people aged 35-50 are at work, and you can't spend the whole day at a vax center hoping to get a walk-in shot (I have yet to hear of anyone actually getting an appointment SMS, everyone just do walk-ins and hope for the best.)

Took me 3 attempts to get my first shot, on the first 2 attempts there were queues round out into the parking lot, and I didn't even bother. on the 3rd attempt there were like 10 people in total.

All 3 of my grandparents got an SMS for each of their appointments.

Jetty

Passed 9 Million vaccinations yesterday and we are about to hit 10% fully vaccinated.

1st million vaccinations took 104 days.
2nd million vaccinations took 16 days.
3rd million vaccinations took 13 days.
4th million vaccinations took 8 days.
5th million vaccinations took 8 days.
6th million vaccinations took 6 days.
7th million vaccinations took 6 days.
8th million vaccinations took 7 days.
9th million vaccinations took 7 days.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Passed 9 Million vaccinations yesterday and we are about to hit 10% fully vaccinated.

Interesting the shortfall seems to be a result of lower numbers in KZN. There have been claims on social media and WhatsApp that looting was planned for this week.

surface

Honorary Master

As per WA group, most in our complex got sms. My wife & I both got sms stating date & time and location. There are hundreds of posts on this forum saying people received sms appointments.

HideInLight

Expert Member
I got my appointment for today at a Clicks, but the state hasn't send them stock yet. Seems to be more than the one I was at, that's having this problem.

Mirai

Expert Member

Private sector. Just one more reason to have NHI.

Intox

I got my appointment for today at a Clicks, but the state hasn't send them stock yet. Seems to be more than the one I was at, that's having this problem.

My closest clicks site told me the same thing when I called and asked if they do walk ins.
Advised me to rather call in the morning to confirm if they received any since they had not yet received their vaccine stock when I called.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
183 704 new vaccinations were reported yesterday. The 7 day average declined to 115 450.

MirageF1

Executive Member
Question:

Assuming a government site has sufficient vaccine supply can one walk in for a second jab even though one has been assigned to a centre further away from you?

I would like to take my mother with me to same centre we got our initial jab from, but we've both now been assigned different sites (on same day), and her getting there is not possible at 81 years of age and with debilitating arthritis.

Failing that, I read Dischem is vaccinating non medical aid folks, and there is a big store close to her, but unsure if they will take both of us.
Doesn't seem to be very clear directives on any of this, very frustrating.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Question:

Assuming a government site has sufficient vaccine supply can one walk in for a second jab even though one has been assigned to a centre further away from you?

I would like to take my mother with me to same centre we got our initial jab from, but we've both now been assigned different sites (on same day), and her getting there is not possible at 81 years of age and with debilitating arthritis.

Failing that, I read Dischem is vaccinating non medical aid folks, and there is a big store close to her, but unsure if they will take both of us.

My next appointment is on Monday, booked for Lentegeur which is miles away. My first was in Pinelands which is closer, so I will try that tomorrow.

Last edited:
Question:

Yes. My parents were assigned to Lentegeur but went to VA Claremont instead.