South Africa to build 6 new nuclear power plants

Ianf1

Expert Member
Misleading headline

South Africa will start the process to procure a nuclear fleet to generate 9 600 MW of power this year, the energy minister said on Tuesday, as Africa's most advanced economy battles an energy crunch.
To meet its targeted nuclear generation capacity, South Africa plans to build six new nuclear power plants by 2030 at a cost estimated between R400 billion and R1 trillion.

“We expect to present the outcome of this procurement process to cabinet by year-end,” Energy Minister Tina Joemat-Pettersson told Parliament, adding that the exercise would be carried out in a “fair and transparent” manner.

This is from IOL website The process has started. Lets see what comes of the process before it is reported that SA will get the nuclear stations.

whatnot

If the construction and commissioning is left up to SA BEE companies owned by ANC thugs, we are in for more Medupi fun, they will 100% guaranteed not be close to completion by 2030. If they are ever completed at all.

Progress is a Western concept, remember ?

rorz0r

Executive Member
Sigh... normally actually having a plan would be good news but we know all too well how things work. This is just a fun HUGE new project to loot from, not to mention all the rest of the things that will be completely wrong in the execution of the project.

system32

Expert Member
Rather spend the money on Solar + Wind + GigaFactory for storage.
Safer, quicker to implement, cheaper, cleaner.

JStrike

Honorary Master
Nope, they won't build them..

Russia will build, run, operate and own them... we will just lease them.

Bidding is not done yet. China and France still have a good chance of winning.
However, the build and operate option will probably be chosen regardless of who wins

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
However, the build and operate option will probably be chosen regardless of who wins

Not if they want to complete the process in 6 months.

We have already signed the deal with Russia, watch it.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Rushing the job means corners will be cut.

Now, questions.

1. Labour force. Who will supply the labour force? Will it be Russians? Or will it be local?
2. China. What will China do? Will they also try to get in on the action?
3. Location, location, location. Nuke plants need cooling, and lots of it. So we can ASSume that the new plants will be built close to the sea.
4. Waste. Where will the waste be stored?
5. Lease? ??? ??? This is a new thing. Lease a plant, heh? What will happen should the levies for the lease not be paid. Do they close up shop and let the nuclear reactors do a meltdown?
6. Quality of materials etc - who will provide the materials needed for building this plant?

Yarrrt. I like this story less and less.

thatshowiroll

I guess it depends who pays the biggest bribes, just like the arms deal...

Nokkie

Executive Member
Rushing the job means corners will be cut.

Now, questions.

1. Labour force. Who will supply the labour force? Will it be Russians? Or will it be local?
2. China. What will China do? Will they also try to get in on the action?
3. Location, location, location. Nuke plants need cooling, and lots of it. So we can ASSume that the new plants will be built close to the sea.
4. Waste. Where will the waste be stored?
5. Lease? ??? ??? This is a new thing. Lease a plant, heh? What will happen should the levies for the lease not be paid. Do they close up shop and let the nuclear reactors do a meltdown?
6. Quality of materials etc - who will provide the materials needed for building this plant?

Yarrrt. I like this story less and less.

Good points, and Nuclear power plants can't be left unattended during a strike

Compton_effect

Honorary Master

Are you kidding? Signed, sealed, and delivered. The sites has been selected, and bought from Zuma's cousins who bought them a few weeks ago using goverment loans. A Gupta cousin who worked as a electrician has already been appointed the head of the construction comapny that we will be using.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Are you kidding? Signed, sealed, and delivered. The sites has been selected, and bought from Zuma's cousins who bought them a few weeks ago using goverment loans. A Gupta cousin who worked as a electrician has already been appointed the head of the construction comapny that we will be using.

Oh I know this....

Hell I even heard a rumour that they have begun throwing foundations at some place down in the EC or WC for the first one....

Granted I think thats possibly just a random rumour that has no basis in reality, but its not far short of it in my opinion.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master

Was already finalised in Dec.... I remember our CEO telling us about it. He had been talking to a contact in government about a new tender and he told him about this.

The ship sailed on this ages ago.

acidrain

Executive Member
Wasting money get Solar setup it is quicker and can solve the issues instead of creating a danger for all of SA

Wind power is more feasible. Solar can be done but it is mighty expensive /MWh so you could expect a drastic increase in electricity price, which no one will accept.