South Africa to build 6 new nuclear power plants

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Was already finalised in Dec.... I remember our CEO telling us about it. He had been talking to a contact in government about a new tender and he told him about this.

The ship sailed on this ages ago.

So much for "open" and "transparent" :mad:

Sinbad

Honorary Master
1 trillion rand to add less capacity than is currently offline for maintenance. Wow.

HunterGR

Expert Member
so i guess this is why we are footing the 3+ mil bill for JZ's return trip from Russia because his 737BJ had to make an extra stop to refuel. This was deemed unacceptable and a private plane was sent from Dubai, only he wasn't on time and the Plane went back to Dubai empty.

JStrike

Honorary Master
Not if they want to complete the process in 6 months.

We have already signed the deal with Russia, watch it.

No we haven't. We have signed 6 agreements so far (USA, Japan, Russia, China, France, South Korea).
Winning bidder to be announced in 6 months (Although I doubt they will hit that deadline)

system32

Expert Member
1 trillion rand to add less capacity than is currently offline for maintenance. Wow.
+1
6 nuclear power stations = 9,600MW @ R400b to R1,000b
Medupi + Kusile = 4,788MW + 4,800MW @ R150b + R150b.
Does not compute.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
No we haven't. We have signed 6 agreements so far (USA, Japan, Russia, China, France, South Korea).
Winning bidder to be announced in 6 months (Although I doubt they will hit that deadline)

I will be immensely happy if what you say is true.. but we all know its not... the deal is singed and sealed for Russia. The rest of the "deals" only happened after it leaked that we had dealt with Russia and such remember.

JStrike

Honorary Master
I will be immensely happy if what you say is true.. but we all know its not... the deal is singed and sealed for Russia. The rest of the "deals" only happened after it leaked that we had dealt with Russia and such remember.

Yeah....I remember. And I remember thinking at the time that it sounded very reactionary and based on very little detail. And that turned out to be the case

Petec

Expert Member
I am sure this will cost more than 400 and trillionty seven thousand and fifty one hundred thousand and forty five three hundred.

Stokstert

Executive Member
Fortunately by the time of completion of the nuke stations I will be buried long ago. :D

Denyed

We do have I think 400 technicians, artisans and engineers in China at the moment for nuclear training. I'm sure that must be a big point in their favour

atomcrusher

Expert Member
Those politically-connected cadres responsible for decision-making in respect of who gets what supplier tenders must be rubbing their hands together in glee, and probably already have their orders placed for the latest imported exotic cars

HunterGR

Expert Member
http://www.fin24.com/Economy/Heated-debate-over-governments-nuclear-plans-20150519

Cape Town – In a heated energy budget session, the Democratic Alliance (DA) gave Energy Minister Tina Joemat-Pettersson a roasting and continuously disrupted her during her budget speech in the National Assembly in Cape Town on Tuesday.

The disruptions focused on her nuclear policy as well as the abandoned independent system and market operator (Ismo) bill. It prompted Joemat-Pettersson's mid-speech suggestion that the "members on the left be given Ritalin for their lack of concentration" and the DA's response that she needs anti-depressants.

Joemat-Pettersson said the government approved the nuclear energy policy in 2008, which provides for the expansion of the nuclear build programme in a coordinated manner to address socio-economic needs and bolster the economy. However, the DA said it was a confusing development.

“We in the DA find the minister’s announcement to go ahead with the nuclear build programme to be downright confusing, premature and irresponsible,” said DA shadow deputy minister of energy Gordon Mackay.

“The Cabinet-approved IRP 2010 provides for 9 600 MW of electricity to be generated through nuclear power, with the first unit commissioned by 2023,” said Joemat-Pettersson.

“Vendor parades have been completed with all nuclear vendor countries that have shown interest to participate in the nuclear new build programme,” she said.

SA's nuclear preparedness 'deficient'

Mackay said the International Atomic Energy Agency found South Africa’s nuclear preparedness deficient in more than 40% of its assessment criteria, “strongly indicating that South Africa is simply not ready to expand its nuclear capability safely”.

“Echoing these findings are a series of reports from the World Association of Nuclear Operators, which found the capacity of management staff at Koeberg to be sub-optimal and identifying the cash crunch at Eskom as negatively impacting on long-term nuclear safety at SA’s sole nuclear power station.

“This is to say nothing of the capacity constraints being experienced at the National Nuclear Regulator – a body that lacks the requisite skill to oversee any new build programme.

“Perhaps we should remind the minister that ignoring the facts will not change the facts. The truth is simple. There simply is no real case for expanded nuclear capacity in South Africa."

Joemat-Pettersson said the department would commence with the nuclear procurement process in the second quarter of this financial year “to select a strategic partner or partners in a competitive, fair, transparent and cost effective manner”.

“We expect to present the outcome of this procurement process to Cabinet by year-end.

“We will finalise the business model for the re-establishment of the nuclear fuel cycle facilities to take advantage of our mineral resources and the beneficiation strategy of our government.

Students to be sent to China, Russia

“In preparation for the rollout the nuclear build programme, we have commenced with a nuclear skills development and training programme. We will be sending students to attend focused training in various countries.

“In this regard, 50 trainees from government nuclear industry entities were sent to China in April 2015 for phase 1 nuclear training, and plans are under way to send an additional 250 trainees to China.

“The Russian Federation has offered five new nuclear scholarships (at) master’s degree level in nuclear physics this year, while South Korea has a standing programme to train South African students in masters programmes in nuclear engineering.”

durbandave

Well I am sure this announcement comes as a surprise to absolutely noone. This has been in the pipeline for ages and they have been building up to it with loadshedding and all.

400 billion - 1 trillion. Nice pricing structure they have applied there. Seems like a very detailed analysis and scope was done to come to this very accurate number. I am sure they will also say it may take between 20 - 120 years to build.

Get the pocket linings ready government ministers, the gravy train bribes are about to be coming.

durbandave

We do have I think 400 technicians, artisans and engineers in China at the moment for nuclear training. I'm sure that must be a big point in their favour

China - highly educated, innovative, efficient, productive, cost effective

South Africa.............. uneducated, BEE, strikes, unproductive, no cost effectiveness........ WELL.

What could go wrong. Chernobyl here we come