South Africa vs The World - 100Mbps fibre prices

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
South Africa vs The World - 100Mbps fibre prices

A study by Picodi found that South Africa has the most expensive 100Mbps fibre prices in the world.

“This research covers 62 countries, including G20 countries, the largest English and Spanish speaking countries, as well as former USSR countries,” Picodi said.

Anony-mousse

Expert Member
Well, ZA is on its way to become one of the most expensive places to live, so at least that's in line with the fibre prices.

Swa

Honorary Master
According to the study, South Africans pay an average of $87.24 (R1,277.93) for a 100Mbps fibre connection – the highest in the world. The next-highest pricing of all analysed countries is Iceland, where a 100Mbps connection costs $69.05 (R1011.47).
And still we have people saying fibre operators aren't making a killing.

Big Sub-Zero

This article is not only deceptive but very misleading... Lots of variables deliberately omitted which in my view should have been part of this discussion to ensure proper context. The method used to compared the countries is very inaccurate and confirms that this article was penned with the purpose of sensationalizing this matter and just to ensure My BB posted something given the lack of activities in the SA tech space (slow news day)...

I am not discounting the fact that SA broadband prices are insanely high but responsible reporting would go a long way in educating our readers and those in key positions to drive the necessary changes...

Last edited:

phex

This article is not only deceptive but very misleading... Lots of variables deliberately omitted which in my view should have been part of this discussion to ensure proper context. The method used to compared the countries is very inaccurate and confirms that this article was penned with the purpose of sensationalizing this matter and just to ensure My BB posted something given the lack of activities in the SA tech space (slow news day)...

I am not discounting the fact that SA broadband prices are insanely high but responsible reporting would go a long way in educating our readers and those in key positions to drive the necessary changes...
If we are being ripped we are being ripped. No RESPONSIBLE REPORTING will make us fill less ripped