South Africa wants a new ID system – but Home Affairs needs to fix long queues and IT failures first

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
South Africans don't want a new ID system. Government and their tender partners want a new ID system so they can leech and defraud millions from the economy.

porchrat

Honorary Master
reregistration at X years... records throughout their lifespan...

all I read is "more money"

rvZA

Expert Member
Why the hell do we need a new ID system? What is actually wrong with our current ID numbering system?

Absolutely nothing wrong with the current system. This is a money racket system again. You will need to queue again for days on end and pay R110 again for a new identity number and id document.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Absolutely nothing wrong with the current system. This is a money racket system again. You will need to queue again for days on end and pay R110 again for a new identity number and id document.

Well yeah, I get the money making aspect.

I suppose I'm asking the question more around (and I suppose more rhetorically than anything else) what would need to change, and also why the hell we need to now cater for "other" genders... Why should a system factor in a persons "feels" in a way, or will the cater for the fact that this year i identify as an Attack Helicopter and next year as a Fluffy pillow.

rvZA

Expert Member
Well yeah, I get the money making aspect.

I suppose I'm asking the question more around (and I suppose more rhetorically than anything else) what would need to change, and also why the hell we need to now cater for "other" genders... Why should a system factor in a persons "feels" in a way, or will the cater for the fact that this year i identify as an Attack Helicopter and next year as a Fluffy pillow.

Here is my personal opinion about the new policy they are proposing.

First off, I think Home Affairs are not in line with the POPI Act and they woke up way too late. According to them and their draft, in short there are still too much information that could be obtained from a normal 13-digit identity number, like date of birth, gender and nationality. Seems more to me they need to get into line with the act and are now looking at using random identity numbers where this information can no longer be identified.

Secondly, I know for a fact that Home Affairs cannot see information on the children of an individual. There is some sort of internal system which allow them to get this information, but it is limited to whom has access. I think they are looking at correcting this on their systems too.

Lastly, again, I think this is a total money racket. If they make these kind of changes, they should pay for the first issue of an identity document to all citizens. The costs should not be on us.

The cheapest solution to this problem would be to make changes to POPI and keep the current identity number. Also make the required changes to the Population Register to link children and parents and use their manpower to manually update records over the next 10-20 years.

ToxicBunny

Here is my personal opinion about the new policy they are proposing.

First off, I think Home Affairs are not in line with the POPI Act and they woke up way too late. According to them and their draft, in short there are still too much information that could be obtained from a normal 13-digit identity number, like date of birth, gender and nationality. Seems more to me they need to get into line with the act and are now looking at using random identity numbers where this information can no longer be identified.

Secondly, I know for a fact that Home Affairs cannot see information on the children of an individual. There is some sort of internal system which allow them to get this information, but it is limited to whom has access. I think they are looking at correcting this on their systems too.

Lastly, again, I think this is a total money racket. If they make these kind of changes, they should pay for the first issue of an identity document to all citizens. The costs should not be on us.

So the POPI stuff I fully agree with, and if they ran with that as the reasoning I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

But yeah, its just another money making racket, and I can almost guarantee they will add an "admin fee" attached to this like the eNatis shyte which was meant to be temporary and has become permanent now.

rvZA

Expert Member
So the POPI stuff I fully agree with, and if they ran with that as the reasoning I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

But yeah, its just another money making racket, and I can almost guarantee they will add an "admin fee" attached to this like the eNatis shyte which was meant to be temporary and has become permanent now.

Oh boy, the admin fee and identity card issuance fee will be a done deal. No doubt about that.

Sarg3_ZN

Expert Member
Will this card also need to be renewed every five years like the drivers license?

rvZA

Expert Member
Will this card also need to be renewed every five years like the drivers license?

I am sure it won't, but in this very article they did mention that the current laws is 20 years old and needed updating, so by the sounds of it, it may indeed become a recurring theme, as and when they need money.

ToxicBunny

Does the current Smart ID need to be replaced every x years?

I would say whatever the rules around the SmartID are would apply to whatever the new plans are.

rvZA

Expert Member
Does the current Smart ID need to be replaced every x years?

I would say whatever the rules around the SmartID are would apply to whatever the new plans are.

I think very few of us have faith left in the current government. Who knows what Home Affairs will come up with? Reviewing policies every 5 years, making change to random identity numbers and forcing renewals again? Who knows.... once they taste the billions.....