South Africa wants to introduce a vaccine passport – but there’s a catch

Spizz

Goat Botherer
“If South Africa introduces (a passport), and there is access to information from the National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD) that confirms that a person has been vaccinated, the question is if that person arrives Lagos (Nigeria), what resources will they use to verify this information that is stored on a database in South Africa?”

Wait. I thought we were all chipped and monitored by Bill Gates?

FaSMaN

Expert Member
First card you carry with you, then implantable chip, eventually compulsory, then can't buy or sell without it.

Yes cause out of all religions out there it has to be your one with the mark of the beast to be correct right ;)

Anyhow, nothing like that will happen, no need to dive into conspiracy theories.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
The arrival of the Delta variant, and the potential for breakthrough infections, make vaccine passports mostly pointless. These proposals are trying to solve yesterday's problem, with a process which cannot achieve its stated aims.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Still want to know why South Africa doesn't have a yellow vaccine booklet.

I was trying to figure out what vaccines I already have since need for history here, I basically ended up mailing every doctor's office that I've gone to as didn't keep the papers (if they give them? Can't remember, been a while).
Here you get an international vaccine passport:
1629275793883.png
1629275801535.png
This isn't anything truly official, this is for you to know and be able to show to your doctor, plus gives the batch number for the vaccines that you've taken so if any issues arise you know if you're part of it. It doesn't matter, if you want to forge getting a vaccine, what's the point? Only now with attempts to make it so you need it for travel etc. is it starting to become a thing, and it's just stupid to forge that rather than just getting vaccinated.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
First card you carry with you, then implantable chip, eventually compulsory, then can't buy or sell without it.

Still want to know why South Africa doesn't have a yellow vaccine booklet.

I was trying to figure out what vaccines I already have since need for history here, I basically ended up mailing every doctor's office that I've gone to as didn't keep the papers (if they give them? Can't remember, been a while).
Here you get an international vaccine passport:
View attachment 1129168
View attachment 1129170
This isn't anything truly official, this is for you to know and be able to show to your doctor, plus gives the batch number for the vaccines that you've taken so if any issues arise you know if you're part of it. It doesn't matter, if you want to forge getting a vaccine, what's the point? Only now with attempts to make it so you need it for travel etc. is it starting to become a thing, and it's just stupid to forge that rather than just getting vaccinated.

I'm not sure what you mean. I've got a South African booklet with a record of all my vaccines over the last 12 or so years I've been working around Africa.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
I'm not sure what you mean. I've got a South African booklet with a record of all my vaccines over the last 12 or so years I've been working around Africa.
Never heard of it in South Africa, no one I know has one. Probably on request because lots of African countries want it, then you get a doc in South Africa to fill it?

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Never heard of it in South Africa, no one I know has one. Probably on request because lots of African countries want it, then you get a doc in South Africa to fill it?

It so happens my local GP in Hermanus is also the local travel clinic so I get all my vaccinations there. Here’s the card I got in 2009 and I visit him every year or so so he keeps me up to date with the needed vaccinations.

9c2981461ed20b13d0e210538ea4ef54.jpg

Vorastra

Executive Member
Another issue considered for the vaccine passport is whether they will be a requirement for events.

Where's all the people who were arguing with me in the Game discount thread.

Vorastra

Executive Member
It so happens my local GP in Hermanus is also the local travel clinic so I get all my vaccinations there. Here’s the card I got in 2009 and I visit him every year or so so he keeps me up to date with the needed vaccinations.

9c2981461ed20b13d0e210538ea4ef54.jpg
So you get vaccines just to get vaccines or are you actually travelling a lot?

Spizz

Goat Botherer
@Spizz said he travels, and the places he mentioned make sense to get regularly vaccinated.

Lot's of places ask for the card at the same time as your passport. It's the yellow fever one that is the important one and if you don't have it they won't let you in (although a few bucks might ease your passage :D )