South Africa will be getting LTE soon

saffakanera

Expert Member
Grossly overpriced and over contended data links at supersonic speeds! Hoozah!

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Please stop regurgitating the same stories over and over again. These articles are meaningless unless ICASA and the DOC release/auction spectrum.

That's kinda the point to this article. MTN is saying they will launch on refarmed spectrum and 8ta is also implying it can launch LTE without the 2.6GHz spectrum licensing going ahead.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
What happened to Iburst. Did they not say they will be launching LTE by middle of this year? It has come and gone.

Nether

Expert Member
I see no real benefit to the consumer here, the operators will only abuse it for marketing. Claiming better speeds yet what consumers really NEED is better pricing.
I can already imagine BIS running at 'LTE'.

Mr.CookieMonster

Expert Member
It is nice that LTE will be releasing quite soon, but what I am worried about is how much per GB of LTE data will cost. If it is more than R50 per GB of data, then there is no use of going LTE, rather stay on a slow and stable ADSL connection.

8ta can't even get their HSDPA+ to work properly - in the evenings & weekends its "dead" - they've admitted it is going to take another year to sort things out - 1st 6 months everything was fantastic, last 5 months "dead" - i'm now in the process of cancelling my 2 year contract

Pavan

Expert Member
Yeah but 1800Mhz is weak... Everyone is trialling it but who's going to offer this at decent prices when they still need to monetize and capitalize of their 3G/HSPA+ investments?

Species8472

(if you are the only user, latencies in a Fibre back-haul environment should be anything between 10ms to 50ms)

Yes, like you will ever be the only user on a multi-million rand tower...

I find it very annoying when people try to convince you that something is better by quoting laboratory results. If you want low latency, get fixed line. No wireless solution can give you both speed and low latency at the same time (unless you are the only subscriber)

siraman

Expert Member
Anyone know what "average" speeds are attainable using LTE (real world usage) over successfully launched LTE networks overseas?

lestoran

Can I get Good 3G Signal first, please

+100

MTN should work on a consistent 3g signal. In the same areas sometimes it works sometimes not. Often it switches between HSPDA, 3g and EGDE continuously. Even HSDPA+ is too ambitious for them.