South Africa will pay R6 billion to extend COVID-19 grants

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
South Africa will pay R6 billion to extend COVID-19 grants

South Africa’s National Treasury will fork out about 6 billion rand ($363 million) to extend a special relief grant for three more months.

The money will be found in the budgets of other government programs by reprioritizing spending and not by increasing overall state expenditure, Finance Minister Tito Mboweni said Friday by phone.

[Bloomberg]

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
I prefer that it goes directly to people instead of a "scheme", with tendapreneurs/ANC members lining their pockets.
Sure some of it will go to a few people. But if you for a second think all this money is going to qualifying people, you are naive.

Arandompeer

Sure some of it will go to a few people. But if you for a second think all this money is going to qualifying people, you are naive.
Maybe I am naive but I still feel it's better if some money goes to the right people rather than all the money going to the wrong people

Kola_CT

Well then he should have been a bit clearer. The implication is certainly there.
Maybe he meant all recipients are, maybe he did not.

Unless he specifies you are reading what you want to read instead of what is in the post.

But that is how you roll, carry on.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Elections are coming up - vote buying at it's best ...
They are losing their touch because apparently you don't need a R350 grant to buy votes, KFC is a lot cheaper. But maybe the masses have grown more entitled over the years, give them R350 just to make sure.

vigras rojara

Expert Member
They are losing their touch because apparently you don't need a R350 grant to buy votes, KFC is a lot cheaper. But maybe the masses have grown more entitled over the years, give them R350 just to make sure.
If only the DA had realised this. They could have been in power years ago with a Nando's and two T-shirt strategy.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
They already feel entitled to more than the R350, they getting now. For being to useless to earn a living. As it barely pays for an evening at the shebeen/tavern.

entrepr

Expert Member
Who is getting these billions?

Every application I have made to this fund says 'pending'

The call centre is either engaged, or just rings or it gives an error message (unavailable today from 8 to 16h30)