South Africa will pay R6 billion to extend COVID-19 grants

Sollie

Executive Member
Maybe he meant all recipients are, maybe he did not.

Unless he specifies you are reading what you want to read instead of what is in the post.

But that is how you roll, carry on.
Already creating a smokescreen for some of the money that will disappear for BMWs and Mercs ...

Anybody not expecting this is either invested or the village idiot.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Maybe he meant all recipients are, maybe he did not.

Unless he specifies you are reading what you want to read instead of what is in the post.

But that is how you roll, carry on.
It's very clear what he meant. The post is still there.

vigras rojara

Expert Member
Already creating a smokescreen for some of the money that will disappear for BMWs and Mercs ...

Anybody not expecting this is either invested or the village idiot.
How is pointing out that not all recipients are free loaders "creating a smoke screen"?

Sollie

Executive Member
How is pointing out that not all recipients are free loaders "creating a smoke screen"?
How about rather pointing out that there are some free loaders. That was the point of the post you're so triggered about.

Kola_CT

It's very clear what he meant. The post is still there.
Yes it is, and you are also reading what you want to.

I believe not all grant recipients are freeloaders, but there are freeloaders.

He did not clarify what he meant, until then you are assuming what you want it to mean.

Reactions: Swa

Sollie

Executive Member

He did not clarify what he meant, until then you are assuming what you want it to mean.
'n Goeie begryper het 'n halwe woord nodig.

As such I'm rather amused by the Let's Twist Again gang. Even vigorous rogering has been deployed. :ROFL:

Grant

Honorary Master
Not all grant recipients are what you call freeloaders. Old people cannot work in the conventional sense.
Those who are too sick, lame or lazy to look after themselves.
You clearly are unable to understand what some people are going through.
I live in a fairly affluent area - the amount of small businesses, and more specifically restaurants, coffee shops etc that have shut down is mind boggling. It's not for a lack of spending money, but a reluctance to go to those kind of venues.
Vacant retail premises cheek to jowl alongside each other standing empty.

Now consider the staff, kitchen, cleaning - whatever.
They are now unemployed, but still have expenses to meet - be it food, or looking after their kids etc.
The debt accumulates very quickly, and their situation becomes more dire as each month passes.
R350, may buy some basic groceries, but little else.
In order to find another job they would need access to telephone services, and transport to get to interviews - but with no money to fund the costs of finding employment, these people are in a trap, like hamsters in a wheel.

And yes, there will be chances and freeloaders, but we are currently living in extraordinary times right now.

As I sit here right now typing this, I'm sitting inside a home, looking over the pool to the ocean, ducted air-conditioning is running, cupboards filled with nice food - absolute comfort.
Meanwhile, on the other side of town are parents, fretting to meet expenses, trying to give their kids the best, desperate for any income or employment.
Some will eventually turn to crime out of desperation, be it petty shoplifting for food, or more ambitious endeavours.

If it will cost R6bn, so be it.
Let govt raise a small tax or levy on individuals earning above some threshold - let's assume a tax / levy of R100pm on those earning more than R30k per month, perhaps sliding upwards - R500pm on those earning above R100k pm etc.

ForceFate

Honorary Master

Government increased all grants due to COVID-19.

Headline
South Africa will pay R6 billion to extend COVID-19 grants
ConfusedR's post
More "free" money for freeloaders.....with a declining tax base.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
I live in a fairly affluent area - the amount of small businesses, and more specifically restaurants, coffee shops etc that have shut down is mind boggling. It's not for a lack of spending money, but a reluctance to go to those kind of venues.

They are now unemployed, but still have expenses to meet - be it food, or looking after their kids etc.
The debt accumulates very quickly, and their situation becomes more dire as each month passes.
In order to find another job they would need access to telephone services, and transport to get to interviews - but with no money to fund the costs of finding employment, these people are in a trap, like hamsters in a wheel.

And yes, there will be chances and freeloaders, but we are currently living in extraordinary times right now.

As I sit here right now typing this, I'm sitting inside a home, looking over the pool to the ocean, ducted air-conditioning is running, cupboards filled with nice food - absolute comfort.
Meanwhile, on the other side of town are parents, fretting to meet expenses, trying to give their kids the best, desperate for any income or employment.
Some will eventually turn to crime out of desperation, be it petty shoplifting for food, or more ambitious endeavours.

Let govt raise a small tax or levy on individuals earning above some threshold - let's assume a tax / levy of R100pm on those earning more than R30k per month, perhaps sliding upwards - R500pm on those earning above R100k pm etc.
I fully do. I interact with people less fortunate than I am on a regular basis. My friend and I ran a small NPO from our pockets for a while. He was raised by his aunt and when she passed away, he had to navigate his way around life. I was more fortunate.

Swa

Honorary Master

The local Maxis is for sale. I guess a lot of people are more in need of paying immediate expenses now and then trying to start over with whatever they have left. The situation is dire out there.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
So where in his post did he say all recipients are freeloaders?

Reading is clearly not one of your strengths.
Let me simplify it for you

All grant recipients receive COVID-19 allowance for a set period.

COVID-19 allowance period to be extended

Those benefiting from COVID-19 allowance extension (all grant recipients) are freeloaders

Therefore, all grant recipients are freeloaders. This is the conclusion based on the series of assertions stated above.
I can't help you beyond this. Let the poster own up.

Last edited:

Grant

Honorary Master
The local Maxis is for sale. I guess a lot of people are more in need of paying immediate expenses now and then trying to start over with whatever they have left. The situation is dire out there.
It truly is.
For most of us on the forum, we are doing ok, but I really feel for others out there who are really battling.

I'm generally not a welfare type person, my preference to enable others to help themselves.
The unfortunate reality is our economy was in bad shape when covid hit, which served only to exasperate things.
I've seen small business owners reduced to tears having to let go of long time loyal staff.
Many business owners can wait things out and start again - the same cannot be said for many staff.

Paul_S

Expert Member
So your solution is to tax the dwindling tax payers even more to compensate for the massive theft and corruption by the ruling party? The existing tax base should be used to help those in need. The ANC seem quite happy to throw another 10+ billion down the SAA toilet but I don't see any unemployed people protesting in the streets about wasting that money.

The majority of the people who are now suffering brought this on themselves by their continual political support of the ANC, it's racist agenda (BEE) and anti-business policies. The unemployed and poor are now reaping what they sowed with their votes.

Last edited: