South Africa will pay R6 billion to extend COVID-19 grants

Paul_S

Expert Member
I see so many people talking from the position of privilege. Majority of the recipients would choose a job instead of a R350 grant payment.
The problem is there are already too few privileged people to bail us out of the self-inflicted mess we find ourselves in.
Even the middle class are now battling to survive. I'm moving soon and decided not to keep a gardener because I can't afford to pay someone R200/day. I'll do it myself. That's another job lost. The domestic will be cut from full time to twice a week.
My extended family have been making similar changes in order to keep food on the table. My parents will be forced to live off state pensions. I'll likely have to do the same. The once "privileged" are becoming poor then who's going to help?

surface

Executive Member
I see so many people talking from the position of privilege. Majority of the recipients would choose a job instead of a R350 grant payment.
what privilege. I didn't get a penny from my father. Whatever he earned, he gave it to SPCA.
My father didn't get penny from his father. Whatever he earned, he gave it to SPCA.
His father didn't get penny from his father. Whatever he earned, he gave it to SPCA.
We are all self-made people here. We never got any benefit from anybody. WE EARNED IT.

Are you new here?

Grant

Honorary Master
So your solution is to tax the dwindling tax payers even more to compensate for the massive theft and corruption by the ruling party? The existing tax base should be used to help those in need. The ANC seem quite happy to throw another 10+ billion down the SAA toilet but I don't see any unemployed people protesting in the streets about wasting that money.

The majority of the people who are now suffering brought this on themselves by their continual political support of the ANC, it's racist agenda (BEE) and anti-business policies. The unemployed and poor are now reaping what they sowed with their votes.
My solution is to tax the wealthy, to assist the very needy.
You may be quite happy to punish people who voted for the ANC, but for me it brings no comfort.

If you are somehow under the illusion it is only black people who voted for the ANC that are desperate for help, you should probably rethink that.
There are quite a few, right here on this forum that also need help and depend on that tiny R350 to try have end meet.

surface

Executive Member
Look at the unemployment grant thread in the covid-19 sub-forum. There are people on this forum receiving it.
Sure, there will be some genuine cases, very very rare for this forum if I have to take a guess. I can easily spot 2 people that are also active on carbonite buying certain goodies in recent months. Maybe 350 rand helps them there - who knows. Talking only about specific 2 that I can spot.

Arandompeer

In my case, I'm a student with no job. I've been looking for a job for a few months. I come from a middle class family, meaning we live comfortably(compared to most) but money is always an issue.I pay for the bulk of my studies and my parents help where they can. They cannot afford to pay for it because they are in heavy debt. My money comes from the odd job and stuff I sell. NSFAS still didn't approve my application for some reason. I don't need the grant but I claim it and told my sister and mother to do so as well. I put the money in my fathers credit card(with other money we got from disposing assets) and told him to cut it. The amount being saved each month on interest is amazing. The rest of the money went to the community food parcels because people in the area lost their jobs and couldn't afford food. I don't stay in a "poor" area, so this is concerning. The area is also diverse with majority being white and colored.

My point is that when I start working I would like my tax money to go to the people, not some corrupt individuals. It will help South Africans.

konfab

Honorary Master
The problem is they cannot because the retards in government have made it illegal to work for someone if you get less than R3500 a month.

konfab

Honorary Master
In my case, I'm a student with no job. I've been looking for a job for a few months. I come from a middle class family, meaning we live comfortably(compared to most) but money is always an issue.I pay for the bulk of my studies and my parents help where they can. They cannot afford to pay for it because they are in heavy debt. My money comes from the odd job and stuff I sell. NSFAS still didn't approve my application for some reason. I don't need the grant but I claim it and told my sister and mother to do so as well. I put the money in my fathers credit card(with other money we got from disposing assets) and told him to cut it. The amount being saved each month on interest is amazing. The rest of the money went to the community food parcels because people in the area lost their jobs and couldn't afford food. I don't stay in a "poor" area, so this is concerning. The area is also diverse with majority being white and colored.

My point is that when I start working I would like my tax money to go to the people, not some corrupt individuals. It will help South Africans.
Relying on the government as the most incompetent middleman in history to do that is part of the problem.

Arandompeer

Relying on the government as the most incompetent middleman in history to do that is part of the problem.
The government is going to fuk you either way, might as well take what you get. We don't live in a perfect world

Nemoneiros

Expert Member
Elections are coming up - vote buying at it's best ...
In fact you should only be allowed to vote if you are not and have not taken any form of social grant. Further more, only if you are employed and have actively paid taxes for at least 10 years.

That was nice and onto the anc vote rigging and payrolled voters

vigras rojara

Expert Member
In fact you should only be allowed to vote if you are not and have not taken any form of social grant. Further more, only if you are employed and have actively paid taxes for at least 10 years.

That was nice and onto the anc vote rigging and payrolled voters
So people would only start voting in their late 20s?