South African 27-inch PC monitor battle

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
South African 27-inch PC monitor battle

When you are looking for an affordable 27-inch full-HD PC monitor in South Africa, there is one brand which currently dominates the market – Dell.

If you search for a “27-inch PC monitor” to buy in Google, for example, most of the shopping results are for Dell monitors.

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
MyBroadband

Sponsored by Dell and Samsung?

There are other affordable quality brands you know.....

Crowley

Executive Member
MyBroadband

Sponsored by Dell and Samsung?

There are other affordable quality brands you know.....
1. Samsung used to be the dominant brand on Google
2. Dell is now the dominant brand on Google
3. Samsung explains their strategy
4. BUT but but other brands!

Yes, there are other brands but they aren't the dominant brand if you search for 27" monitors on Google.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
So what is the best gaming monitor in your opinion in the 27" space?

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
I always go for LG. Few hundred bob more, but it's not going to break the bank.
BenQ has dropped in price as well.

'On a budget' to me means you are more concerned about price so Mecer is also not bad.

I've never owned a Dell or a Samsung.
Just not brands I go for.

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
1. Samsung used to be the dominant brand on Google
2. Dell is now the dominant brand on Google
3. Samsung explains their strategy
4. BUT but but other brands!

Yes, there are other brands but they aren't the dominant brand if you search for 27" monitors on Google.
An informative article will, at the very least, mention alternatives to the current dominant brands and not just mention the two dominant brands and call it a day.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
An informative article will, at the very least, mention alternatives to the current dominant brands and not just mention the two dominant brands and call it a day.
There is already a thread discussing crapping journalism.

recre8

I had 3 older Samsung 27" monitors that got stolen in a burglary. I replaced with Samsung S27E390H monitors. All three had out of the box failures with vertical lines appearing on the LCD. All three got replaced by Takealot, and two of the new ones were dead of out of the box.

They also felt incredibly flimsy. The stand made that typical cheap plastic squeaking sounds whenever I slightly bumped my desk. Returned and replaced with Dell S2715H. I now have 5 of them and no problems at all. Samsung's quality seems

newby_investor

Expert Member
My dad has a Dell Ultrasharp 27" something something. Forget the exact model number. It's a 2560x1440 monitor. I have a similar one but Asus, also 2560x1440 and with 100% sRGB. Both are excellent.

I upgraded to the Asus from a Samsung, a normal 1080p which is several years old now and just a budget model, so the colour wasn't amazing. Was fine for watching movies and some light gaming but the wife's photo processing left something to be desired. It was an okay screen, but the capacitive touch "buttons" annoyed me. The Asus and Dell both have proper physical buttons.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
If I had to downscale I would go for the Asus ROG Swift or Acer Predator
lol, look how you brag... "If I had to downscale" "P

I have a Dell S2515H or something. 1440p.
I will only use it for programming and Dota, or games that need a KB and Mouse.

All other games that I can play with a control are streamed to my TV via a Shield.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I have this monitor, once you go wide there's no going back.
Thanks for the recommendation. My main concern is the height of it. Ultra-wide monitors tend to have deceptive measurements when they stretch so widely. I'm currently using a 46" TV as a monitor, mounted in front of my desk, which I absolutely love as it frees up my desk space and provides a nice big workspace. I'm sceptical that mounting the curved monitor will be an option without feeling like I'm using a monitor for ants. If the vertical height of the widescreen isn't even that of a 16:9 27" then it will feel like a substantial downgrade.

dj2381

Expert Member
Thanks for the recommendation. My main concern is the height of it. Ultra-wide monitors tend to have deceptive measurements when they stretch so widely. I'm currently using a 46" TV as a monitor, mounted in front of my desk, which I absolutely love as it frees up my desk space and provides a nice big workspace. I'm sceptical that mounting the curved monitor will be an option without feeling like I'm using a monitor for ants. If the vertical height of the widescreen isn't even that of a 16:9 27" then it will feel like a substantial downgrade.
The monitor itself can be pushed down almost right onto the base, also left right up down, anyway you want it, very cool, the only issue would be some games not supporting the resolution, but there aren't many, mostly ubisoft or bethesda titles.

Edit: oops I see what you mean, its basically the same height as a 27" monitor I would say, I also had a 43" TV as a monitor but just too many issues with it.

Johand

Expert Member
HD for 27 inch is a bit of a stretch (pun intended). It really is time for 4K monitors to drop in price and become the default. Hopefully that is Samsung's strategy (the dropping in price part).

I moved to a 27 inch 4K IPS monitor and now HD on any PC looks like SABC received on bunny ears :)

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
I wonder if 1080P upscaled to 4K on a TV looks the same as 4K on a PC monitor.

Corelli

I used to like Philips and Samsung long ago, but really Dell kicks everything from here to well the other side of the universe. Both for reliability and design.

I dont like the Dell S or E series. Generally they are for basic home users.

The P and U series is where you have to be. Generally for work we only use the Dell P Series ie P2417H or P2717H. Its big, it has a few inputs, and it can move up and down by quite a margin on its own stands, and it can rotate 90 Degrees. Also it lasts. (We tried some LG but their monitors all give up after 4 years, where Dells just keep going.

Now if you want Rolls Royce, you need to go the U series monitors. These are the ultrasharp with more connections in some than some TVs. The UP2716D is the QHD model if you want to do photo editing, and the monitor has been factory calibrated. This means generally that the monitor has been adjusted that each part reflects the colour perfectly and supports its 1 billion colours acurately. Its also the monitor that Apple advises you to use with their Macs. Its about R7k for the monitor, but if you just spend R22k on a camera lens, it will be small pocket money. Also it supports the full RGB Range. Most Samsungs only does 60-70 percent of the colour spectrum.

Now if you want bigger, then look back at the P Series the P4317Q. Its a 42.5" 4K Monitor, yes a monitor (so no TV license.) It costs about 9-10k. If you want more wide and not so big the Dell 34" Wide Screens also come out in 4K.

So srgb is 100% by most monitors, but Adobe RGB you need a premier colour monitor for that. Also its better calibrated for colour correctness. Most people here would go Dell.

For a normal budget monitor but still good for gaming etc. Get the Dell P2417H or P2717H (or the newer models of these). They arent too costly, can adjust up and down, and you can toss those stupid bar metal stands, and you will be happy with your purchase.

Here are more details of it....
https://www.dell.com/ed/business/p/dell-p2417h-monitor/pd

Lupus

Honorary Master
HD for 27 inch is a bit of a stretch (pun intended). It really is time for 4K monitors to drop in price and become the default. Hopefully that is Samsung's strategy (the dropping in price part).

I moved to a 27 inch 4K IPS monitor and now HD on any PC looks like SABC received on bunny ears :)
1080p likes fine on my 27" its like 32" back in the day for TV you could get away with 720p.
Though 1080p did look better