South African Airways majority stake sold off to private consortium

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
As stated above, I do not trust the government enough to take this at facevalue.

Nobody does, which is why the agreements will be scrutinised...

And you can be damn sure if there is any clause of that sort in the agreement then the opposition parties will hold the government to them,

daveza

Honorary Master
Unions - " we are not happy with this arrangement ".

Govt - " take it up with Takatso, we are just a minority shareholder ".

MightyQuin

Not amused...
S=State
O=Owned
E=Entity/Enterprise

Is it an entity? Check
Is it state owned? Check

It's not a MSOE (Majority state owned entity) but is it still owned by the state (whether part or not)? Yes.

Who makes the final decisions? The 51% stakeholder or the 49% stakeholder?

zolly

Expert Member
S=State
O=Owned
E=Entity/Enterprise

Is it an entity? Check
Is it state owned? Check

It's not a MSOE (Majority state owned entity) but is it still owned by the state (whether part or not)? Yes.

It appears you are indeed correct, even if that makes no sense. According to this list Vodacom is an SOE lol.

HBee

Expert Member
Its a given that 51% stake is just the tip of the iceberg in concessions the ANC have had to make to get this deal.
The rest we will find out as this unfolds into another failure.

hj007

Expert Member
It appears you are indeed correct, even if that makes no sense. According to this list Vodacom is an SOE lol.

Yes but you can see how differently things are run at SASOL, Vodacom and Telkom compared to where government are the majority shareholder.

For SAA, this is now privatised if it all goes ahead. What I'm interested in is are the details, namely whether SAA will get monopoly protections like when we sold off Telkom to foreign buyers and screwed over the local ISP/infrastructure landscape for 10 years.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Yes but you can see how differently things are run at SASOL, Vodacom and Telkom compared to where government are the majority shareholder.

For SAA, this is now privatised if it all goes ahead. What I'm interested in is are the details, namely whether SAA will get monopoly protections like when we sold off Telkom to foreign buyers and screwed over the local ISP/infrastructure landscape for 10 years.
Unlike to get monopoly protection as the guys involved in the deal already sank a lot of money into lift. Giving SAA monopoly would be a problem for other airlines. That wasn'tthe scenario with telkom, we already have competitors in the field unlike with telkom were there was always just one.

rvZA

Expert Member
In any event, none of this matters. Even with a private consortium owning the majority of the airline, SAA already lost all its operating aircraft last year when it was all repossessed. There is no chance that they will be getting all the aircraft back. The new consortium will have to purchase new aircraft on leases, and I do not think they have the type of capital flow available to acquire the aircraft needed to operate an airliner the size of the SAA. I think the SAA may perhaps return as a small player in the market. Whether they will be able to grow it going forward, remains to be seen.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
so we have gone from : No one will buy SAA, when GP and Gov were looking for equity partners. Now that someone/consortium has bought a majority stake ... now talking points are shifting, predictable ... been a good week, Eskom now SAA =may not be where we suppose to be , but we are on our way....
Classic MyBb.

eg2505

Honorary Master
so what happens now, somebody at SAA actually has to do some work, and not strike every 20 min.