South African alternative to Tesla Powerwall: prices, power details

quovadis

Expert Member
Seems very expensive compared to Tesla. I'm not sure that stating their product is more suited to SA as Tesla's two product options are different. The 10kw version is meant for backup usage and 7kw for daily cycle applications. Good to have competition though.

MagicDude4Eva

Banned
Seems very expensive compared to Tesla. I'm not sure that stating their product is more suited to SA as Tesla's two product options are different. The 10kw version is meant for backup usage and 7kw for daily cycle applications. Good to have competition though.
Tesla's 10kw options is about USD3500 (ex sales tax) - add exchange rate/import duties etc on top of it, you will also sit with a comparable cost of about 90-100K (not factoring in local markups etc).

rbarryza

USD3 500 = ZAR 42 000
That's retail in the US. Add VAT (14%) that means retail ZAR 48000. Shipping cannot be more than a couple of thousand ZAR per unit. That takes it to around ZAR 55 000. I can't think that import tax can push that up to R90k - R100k.

Nuro

Expert Member
It seems the price does not include the inverter, and the Tesla models do?

EDIT: Looks the powerwall doesn't come with an inverter either.

Last edited:

phoneJunky

Executive Member
No the Tesla models don't. Seems reasonably priced against the Tesla if they have the same kind of guarantees.

Think the 10/7 will be better priced than the Tesla will be. And we don't know if the Tesla will allow the full 7kWh yet.

fish

Tesla does not include a inverter.

Also the Tesla prices are the installer prices. Meaning not for consumers.

The final price for the Tesla will be roughly $7k once imported.

phoneJunky

Executive Member
The units come with a 10-year guarantee for daily cycling, and Freedom Won offers a “second life option” by exchanging the cells for new ones, at a price.

Under this second life option, cells will be replaced using the the prevailing battery technology at the time.
On the gaurantee, which is similar/better than the Powerwall offering.

JStrike

Honorary Master
And what is the software like. What are the 'smart' features of this device?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Does it come with all the fancy packaging and software that the Tesla Powerwall does?

Also, the Powerwall is an actual physical product that has been released and shown.. this is still a "concept" in terms of the final design.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Still don't see why I should buy one of these when I can pay under R2000 for a 102AH deep cycle lead acid battery.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Still don't see why I should buy one of these when I can pay under R2000 for a 102AH deep cycle lead acid battery.
How many would you need to provide 7kwh per day with a life span of 10 years, daily cycling?

garp

Executive Member
Or you could just buy 4 good old fashioned 100AH deep cycles for R8k and replace them every few years... would still be cheaper than these solutions.

falcon786

Executive Member
Or you could just buy 4 good old fashioned 100AH deep cycles for R8k and replace them every few years... would still be cheaper than these solutions.
Rather buy Lithium-ion batteries in that case since they are much better and last much longer.

system32

Expert Member
Depends if you just want a UPS to deal with occasional Loadshedding or you want to go off-grid.
For off-grid (or partially off-grid) you will be cycling the batteries daily.
10 years x 365 cycles = 3650 cycles.
LiFePO4 more efficient to charge than lead acid.
LiFePO4 Depth of Discharge better than lead acid (without damage)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rechargeable_battery

Last edited:

bromster

Expert Member
Batteries carry a 30% import duty if I remember correctly. Just a side note.