South African alternative to Tesla Powerwall: prices, power details

Swa

Honorary Master
USD3 500 = ZAR 42 000
That's retail in the US. Add VAT (14%) that means retail ZAR 48000. Shipping cannot be more than a couple of thousand ZAR per unit. That takes it to around ZAR 55 000. I can't think that import tax can push that up to R90k - R100k.
10 / 7 kWh = R57,170

Seems reasonable. Won't get the Powerwall for less from installers plus the guarantee and support is local.

Does it come with all the fancy packaging and software that the Tesla Powerwall does?

Also, the Powerwall is an actual physical product that has been released and shown.. this is still a "concept" in terms of the final design.
From their release dates this has to be in manufacturing already. Also how much software can a battery have? I'm still waiting for an explanation of the "OTA updates."

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
10 / 7 kWh = R57,170

Seems reasonable. Won't get the Powerwall for less from installers plus the guarantee and support is local.

From their release dates this has to be in manufacturing already. Also how much software can a battery have? I'm still waiting for an explanation of the "OTA updates."
I smell a scam.

agel

USD3 500 = ZAR 42 000
That's retail in the US. Add VAT (14%) that means retail ZAR 48000. Shipping cannot be more than a couple of thousand ZAR per unit. That takes it to around ZAR 55 000. I can't think that import tax can push that up to R90k - R100k.
And customs?

SilverNodashi

Expert Member
The biggest problem you're going to face with making your own Li-on battery pack is to charge and discharge it correctly. Presumably these overpriced battery packs have a well thought-out charge and discharge circuit - same as your phone battery, it's not a "naked battery", but it includes it's own charge regulating circuit.
And then you need to worry about keeping the batteries cool on a hot day, or risk fire / explosion. I wonder if these guys have included some form of cooling as well.

Nope, because the crappy illustration is all they have.
And crappy illustrations help selling these things to clueless people who like marketing hype The biggest issue