South African banks are Bitcoin-shy

MKFrost

Expert Member
Doubt whether any of our banks will adopt Bitcoin any time soon. We have a very conservative banking sector [which is not necessarily a bad thing].

I think Bitcoin will become mainstream once the issue surrounding the trading of such has been sorted out i.e. have a regulated exchange where buyers and sellers can transact.

matt_za

Put simply to much volatility for majority of financial institutions to enter besides token experiments. Mt Gox never helped things either

Petec

Expert Member
Theft of e-currency, using e-currency for black market purchases, physical to e-currency laundering, hard to track etc etc...

Thank goodness the above never happens with real money and banks...

Syphonx

Expert Member
Theft of e-currency, using e-currency for black market purchases, physical to e-currency laundering, hard to track etc etc...

Thank goodness the above never happens with real money and banks...
I had no idea that "real money" aka cash was not prone to theft, could not be used on the black market, could not be laundered and that annonymous cash transactions can be easily tracked. Hopefully you are being sarcastic or ignorance has reached a new level of incredulousness.

[XC] Oj101

Expert Member
C'mon, you can SMELL the sarcasm in that post :D

People really need to forget about MtGox, it was easily the worst thing that ever happened to Bitcoin but it's GONE now. From here we can move forward.

Petec

Expert Member
@ Nduimiso , hehe, I knew I should have put a "/sarcasm" at the end of my post :)

See, what drives me nuts is when it's thought that only digital currency is used for nasty things.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-07-02/hsbc-judge-approves-1-9b-drug-money-laundering-accord.html

HSBC was bust for laundering almost a trillion dollars in this ONE case. They had to pay "an agreement" of just under 2 bill. Chump change for them. What was the worlds reaction to this? Nothing at all.

HSBC entered into a referred-prosecution agreement, where not a single person or it as a company would face any criminal charges whatsoever.

They launder cartel drug money, they helped channel funds to terrorist organizations to the tune of almost a trillion dollars and nothing happens? The world does not even bat an eyelid?

Not even a bill Bitcoins were "lost" and everyone looses their minds. Class action suits and arrests etc.

This world is a sad, sad place when humans as so amazingly ignorant of what is happening on this rock floating through space.

Syphonx

Expert Member
@ Nduimiso , hehe, I knew I should have put a "/sarcasm" at the end of my post :)

See, what drives me nuts is when it's thought that only digital currency is used for nasty things.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-07-02/hsbc-judge-approves-1-9b-drug-money-laundering-accord.html

HSBC was bust for laundering almost a trillion dollars in this ONE case. They had to pay "an agreement" of just under 2 bill. Chump change for them. What was the worlds reaction to this? Nothing at all.

HSBC entered into a referred-prosecution agreement, where not a single person or it as a company would face any criminal charges whatsoever.

They launder cartel drug money, they helped channel funds to terrorist organizations to the tune of almost a trillion dollars and nothing happens? The world does not even bat an eyelid?

Not even a bill Bitcoins were "lost" and everyone looses their minds. Class action suits and arrests etc.

This world is a sad, sad place when humans as so amazingly ignorant of what is happening on this rock floating through space.
My bad :D, was hoping it was sarcasm but many people believe exactly what you said so I wasn't sure.

Tns

Executive Member
they don't like it cause they cant profit of it.