South African broadband in 2011

Cadavre777

Expert Member
Quality and speed across the board have been largely neglected as ISPs continue to chase the lowest price denominator while simultaneously failing to educate unsuspecting consumers as to the additional costs inherent in low prices: slower speeds and a diminished online experience.

It might be a good idea to make sure your own products are outstanding and work as promised before being a cheeky little bastard...

Last edited:

HBee

Expert Member
Who care about WA's opinions. They are followers and very late adopters - not visionaries.

VioAdmin

Expert Member
Who care about WA's opinions. They are followers and very late adopters - not visionaries.
+1
WA? They still around?
+1

Wow... whats with the WA hate? I find their service is excellent
I think the problem was WA's statement(s), they seem like they are money hungry.

We as a nation want cheaper prices and better service, WA thinks you can only have one, we want both. Most countries can do both, why not us? Have WA even tried to do both? No, this is because they want their profit margin to not drop below a certain point. After all, it is a business. =/

Perhaps it is their greed that is wearing a mask that says 'better service'...I don't know, I wish them luck as they do have some happy customers but if they can't handle the heat they might as well get out of the heated pool.

jostian

WE NEED LOWER LINE RENTAL RATES! The data prices are fine now, time to move onto the next mission, line rental rates which are so exorbitent its laughable!! come on people, focus... herein lies the next battle!

HBee

Expert Member
No I don't hate WA, I just find it amusing that they could have any opinion other than we are paying to little for the privelage of having internet. And this article dissapoints as it does not deliver anything new.

MVGL

WA has only one Opinion and that is to make as much money out of their customers as possible while they can.

Who cares what WA has to say? After All, wasn't Uncapped unsustainable Rupert? Even if there are glitches, some players in the Industry are actually dedicated to try and sort them out as opposed to trying to point out weak spots like you do.

Your very own Network has been way less than 99% efficient most of 2010 if one reads through the Forums.

Having my current uncapped solution at home has saved me 1000 's of Rands. Best move I ever made was to move myself as well as all my Clients away from WA.

I am actually surprised that people still listen to anything you guys have to say. You are a spineless, moneyhungry dinosaur of the SA ISP Industry. Go hide behind a rock somewhere and keep your opinions to yourself just like you asked me to do in the past.

roberth

WA has only one Opinion and that is to make as much money out of their customers as possible while they can.

Who cares what WA has to say? After All, wasn't Uncapped unsustainable Rupert? Even if there are glitches, some players in the Industry are actually dedicated to try and sort them out as opposed to trying to point out weak spots like you do.

Your very own Network has been way less than 99% efficient most of 2010 if one reads through the Forums.

Having my current uncapped solution at home has saved me 1000 's of Rands. Best move I ever made was to move myself as well as all my Clients away from WA.

I am actually surprised that people still listen to anything you guys have to say. You are a spineless, moneyhungry dinosaur of the SA ISP Industry. Go hide behind a rock somewhere and keep your opinions to yourself just like you asked me to do in the past.

+1

Joe Average

Rupert- when you can offer me FTTH for less than R 2500 per month with fixed IP addresses - give me a call.
Till then I will stay an ex-WA client.

grok

Honorary Master
Nothing said about EASSy? Why haven't we seen any benefit from them yet?

LFX

Expert Member
@Joe.... I read this morning that Telia in Sweden are now launching a 1Gbit unlimited residential service for 999Kroner... that equates to just over R1000.... so R2500 is still way too much lol

Joe Average

@Joe.... I read this morning that Telia in Sweden are now launching a 1Gbit unlimited residential service for 999Kroner... that equates to just over R1000.... so R2500 is still way too much lol

I am willing to pay good money for superior service - but nobody wants to make the bold step to lay a few fibre cables to homes. What does it matter if you make a loss up-front, eventually the fibre infrastructure would become the new Local Loop and the first provider would have the biggest say over its use - just like Telkom now has over the LL Copper infrastructure.

Not to mention that the local fibre Metro cables are about 25m from my home - is it really that complicated and expensive ?

Last edited:

Conack

Expert Member
You can say what you want but WA delivers the best gaming latency and stability. There is no better ISP for World of Warcraft: 210-230ms on avg from George.
WA is the Woolworths of SA Internet, they offer the option to pay more for better quality and I'm happy to pay it.

If you want uncapped there's Mweb. For a quick cheap / free 1gig there's Afrihost.

Tharaxis

Web Africa admittedly has the fastest network out there - no small feat given their relatively small size compared to the bigger guys - and for those where money is no object, WA is the better (if not best) choice out there.

BUT!

WA seems to be stuck in a bit of a rut whereby they realise they need to target the smaller consumer (who maybe only uses 1-2GB a month) so as to drive up revenues, hit a certain level of scale, and increase profitability, yet seem intent on driving price down through niche products that don't resonate with their target audience (download plus is not useful for the general consumer, adds complexity, and so on) for what seems to me to be so they can have a nice fat low price on their advertising. Forget the fact that often those prices require certain criteria to be met beforehand (per GB cost as low as R15 a GB! But you have to buy it in a 30GB chunk).

Most disappointing of all however is that WA still seems incapable of (or unconcerned with) providing a reasonable response to M-Web's uncapped, except to make unfounded remarks such as "performance is poor and quality suffers". What rubbish! Sure, initially it was touch and go, the SEACOM downtime mid-2010 helped matters naught, and the network freeze and poor planning resulting from the World Cup also caused plenty of headaches, but by and large for MOST GENERAL PURPOSES it works, and works well (which is exactly what average consumers want). For me, other than P2P and other non-general uses, the uncapped offering works 100%, often reaching full speeds, and has saved me thousands of rands over the course of 2010. Additionally it's worth keeping in mind that not even WA's superior network is full speed 24/7 on all protocols. In the end my true-life experience trumps WA's assumptions based on anecdotal evidence.

6 years ago I would have never imagined, what with WA being almost religiously concerned about the experience of the customer, engaging with the community and being on the leading edge of what can be done as an ISP, and M-Web being all about money, stagnating, and abusing the ignorance of its customers with incredibly high pricing, that 5 years later M-Web would end up being the champion of what the customer wants and WA would be the slow, lumbering, ineffectual beast it has become. Why is it that one company can go from **** to great in 5 years and another goes from great to, well, piss poor? WA would probably tell you it's all about the marketing and money (Naspers has lots of that), but I think that's just an easy excuse. The company is too spread out, has too many products, most of which it never really supports after the initial rollout, seems to be of the opinion that "more features done fast" is going to win them customers, and is downright monolithic in many ways (despite being a small company - at least in headcount).

Perhaps things will change? Perhaps in 2 months time WA will change their mindset, have the right people in charge, and have the ultimate product and we'll all forget 2010? Maybe. I can but hope, because right now son, I am disappoint.

Last edited:

fragtion

Expert Member
R2500/month for FTTH? Wow, brainwashed (or better: ass-r4ped?) bunch. I'd be hesitant to pay more than R500 in this day and age for such a facility which is basically a human right in some developed countries

Darthloop

WE NEED LOWER LINE RENTAL RATES! The data prices are fine now, time to move onto the next mission, line rental rates which are so exorbitent its laughable!! come on people, focus... herein lies the next battle!

Why the $#&*@ are we paying "line rental" in the first place :mad:

MVGL

I hear your Comments...but..

Sorry that I quoted you so rudely. Understand one thing...WA does not give a ***** about you, your mother, your gran or anyone else you know unless you are willing to Pay.

Sure their Gaming Scenario might be great but how the heck is this going to keep them alive? Do all their Clients just play games? Heck does SA only play games lately?

I actually joined MYBB initially to vent my anger against these clowns and I now really enjoy speaking to all you guys. However, I would like to advise you that WA will NOT change their Structure.

We supported these guys for many years and they overcharged us thousands of rands. I ***** you not, thousands !!!

To his day they claim that Uncapped is unsustainable. If I look at last month alone, I would have had to pay WA something to the tune of a small car in money value for what I downloaded.

WA bull*****s everyone. I hope that this will come through more and more as it seems to. People are starting to wake up a little.

They even threatened me with legal action for voicing my opinion and I was the first to be banned on their Reseller Forums after more than 800 posts of constructive opinions.

Ask Rupert, he will deny it ;) Ask their Tech Support, they will forget; Ask WAmatt, he is too high in the sky but he might just give you another lame almost Juliass type of excuse.

My to cents ;)